Senior Risk Manager
42A Frost St.
Boston, MA 000000
Senior Risk Manager with diverse experience and understanding of financial products in global markets
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Over 16 years of experience building risk models.
- Excellent relationship-building skills, including complex, large relationships.
- Detailed knowledge of capital markets, including structured credit, credit derivatives, and emerging markets.
- High yield, investment grade, and distressed securities trader.
Fidelity Investments, Boston, MA 2006 - Present
Global Fixed Income Risk Manager. Risk manager for fourteen fixed-income funds, totaling over $105 billion in assets.
- Collaborate with fund managers on optimal risk allocation.
- Monitor portfolio risk limits and ensure credit policy compliance.
- Manage staff of seven portfolio analysts.
- Responsible for management reports on consolidated risk exposures and risk assessment.
- Member of risk committees for other funds outside of direct responsibility.
Citigroup, New York, NY 2000 - 2006
Managing Director, Risk Management, Distressed Securities, 2005 - 2006. Managed investments in all areas of distressed fixed-income and equity securities.
- Evaluated and approved distressed asset purchases in managed portfolios and actively managed mutual funds.
- Structured, underwrote, and approved the purchase and sale of both performing and non-performing consumer and corporate loan portfolios.
Director, Emerging Markets Trading, 2003 - 2005. Directed all trading in emerging market securities.
- Managed team responsible for risk management for global emerging markets trading.
- Reviewed all complex transactions to ensure appropriate risk and valuation.
- Structure and price emerging markets bond options.
- Determined reserve levels for the emerging markets trading desk.
Senior Risk Manager, Institutional Accounts, 2000-2003. Risk manager for multiple institutional managed accounts.
- Assess pricing on illiquid or unpriced securities.
- Established capital methodology for new products and compliance with the Global Risk Management System.
- Established baseline position for securities to balance total risk.
- Advise trading desk to optimize risk on capital.
Vanguard Group, New York, NY 1991 - 2000
Head of Market Risk, US Securities 1997-2000
- Created and managed risk reporting team.
- Established limits for structured derivatives in actively managed funds.
- Monitored liquidity risk for actively managed funds.
- Improved valuation assessments of illiquid securities.
- Ensured total risk of funds with multiple managers remained within fund guidelines.
Local Risk Manager, 1993-1997
- Responsible for actively managed income portfolios for both corporate and mortgage-backed instruments.
- Managed staff of five portfolio analysts.
- Oversaw the hiring and training of new analysts.
- Ensured compliance of portfolios to risk guidelines.
Portfolio Analyst, 1991-1993
- Computed performance of total portfolios against benchmarks.
- Advised portfolio managers on securities purchases to keep portfolio balanced relative to the benchmark.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
Series 7 and 63 license
Chartered Financial Analyst Charterholder, 1993
MBA Finance, New York University, Stern School of Business (1991)
B.S., Finance, SUNY New Paltz (1989)
Keywords: risk manager, risk analysis, securities analysis