About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- Provide inputs in shaping the Country Legal's strategic direction
- Work with in-country stakeholders to deliver against the Country Legal's strategic initiative
- Optimise operating efficiency while balancing the effectiveness of decision making within the Country Legal function
- Assist to develop effective litigation risk management strategies and timely deploy these strategies across products and channels
People and Talent
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness becomes apparent and ensure they are addressed within an appropriate timeframe and escalated through the relevant committees
- Continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of litigation risk management processes
- Retrieve litigation related documents and create/maintain litigation files, where required
- Maintain detailed list of litigations, keep up-to-date status of litigations and liaison with external counsels in dealing with litigations
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values within the team
- Encourage and promote an active training and learning environment to facilitate excellence in legal risk management, legal risk awareness, behaviours and accountability
- Identify material Legal risks in Vietnam and communicate these to Head, Legal, Vietnam, as necessary
- Within the Group's overall Risk Management Framework, establish and maintain an appropriate risk-based approach to assessing, measuring, monitoring, managing and reporting Legal Risk arising in their areas of responsibility.
- Maintain an awareness and understanding of the top risks facing the Group and the role played in managing them
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Provide oversight on security documentation process and bank's litigation, ensuring compliance with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with local banking laws, other applicable laws and anti-money laundering regulations and guidelines.
- Embed the Group's values and code of conduct in security documentation process and bank's litigation to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees' form part of the culture
- Accountable for satisfactory closure of issues / gaps arising from Internal Audits, peer reviews and regulatory reviews.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Work with Head, Legal, Vietnam to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters
Our Ideal Candidate
- Internal stakeholders
- Product Legal teams, Dispute Resolution team and other Legal practice groups
- Country Business teams and Product teams
- External stakeholders
- Law Firms
- Auditors and Regulators
- Law enforcement agencies
- Suppliers, vendors and consultants (as may be applicable
- Qualified to practice as an advocate in Vietnam
- Experience in private practice or in-house of managing complex legal issues
- Good business acumen (including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return), strong leadership qualities, excellent interpersonal skills and multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to collaborate and work dynamically across country, region, business and group stakeholders
- Understanding of the key features of relevant laws and regulations relevant to the Group
- Understanding of risk management techniques
- Sound judgment of business practices, regulatory relationship management and reputational risk
- Exemplary integrity, ethics, independence and resilience
- Personal authority with proven ability to establish relationships at senior levels of the relevant business and the Group, and stakeholders
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.