- Possesses technical knowledge of the legal landscape for Financial Markets ("FM") with a particular focus on or experience in Fixed Income Derivatives including FX, Rates, Credit, Structured Credit, Structured Products, Credit linked products, Structured Notes and other bespoke credit solutions. Experience in Islamic derivatives and Islamic structured finance is desirable.
- Lead and take responsibility for providing legal advice, guidance and support to business units and stakeholders on all legal matters relating to FM.
- Support Group strategic initiatives to reduce Cost of Funds (CoF)/attract dollar liabilities.
- Maintain close relationships with stakeholders including the Regional General Counsels and FM Business Heads to provide them with relevant legal advice, guidance and support.
- Promote a culture and practice of compliance with legal standards (including conducting business within legal and regulatory requirements, with high ethical standards).
- Lead through example and build an appropriate culture and values. Set an appropriate tone and expectations for the FM Legal team in AME as regards good conduct.
- Help to embed and implement global legal standards for FM taking into account regional/country issues.
- Help to ensure that regulatory reform/changes are appropriately assessed within Legal from a FM impact perspective and that any regulatory reform is appropriately escalated and managed.
- Member of a team providing FM related legal advice with respect to new products and FM initiatives.
- Provide transactional support to FM business having regard to Product Programme Authorisation. (PPG)/Country Addenda (CA) parameters and, if applicable, the Group's minimum standards and guidance for the relevant product(s) or service(s).
- Act as lead lawyer for complex multi-jurisdictional FM transactions across various asset classes including rates, fx, credit, Islamic, commodities, collaborating with the relevant regional and/or country Head of Legal to provide seamless support to the business.
- Work with Product and other stakeholders to structure and define parameters for new products and initiatives and develop template legal documentation.
- Awareness and understanding of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates.
- Drive improvements to documentation processes and develop template legal documentation for FM businesses that are fit for purpose and promote standardisation across the Group.
- Implement global standards and initiatives for legal matters in relation to all FM businesses, including the Bank's position on departures from standard clauses, and applying a consistent approach to management of issues, in particular, to matters relating to regulatory reform.
- Support and oversee internal legal, external legal counsels and business teams supporting/working within FM, and drive operational efficiencies/improvements.
- Promote clarity and understanding of FM documentation within the FM teams and if required, to conduct relevant training to FM teams around documentation.
- Identify and find ways to reduce legal and reputational risk.
- Control the quality and cost of legal services provided by external law firms.
- Be aware of and understand the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates.
- Interface with country legal and compliance on local regulatory issues.
People and Talent
- Assist in procuring that appropriate forms of legal documents are used for transactions with adequate protections and remedies for the Bank, and help management determine that transactions are valid and enforceable under the laws of all relevant jurisdictions.
- Act as Risk Control Owner Delegate under the Group's Risk Management Framework for Financial Markets processes where Legal is the second line Risk Control Owner for FM in the Region (pe-dealing/misselling).
- Provide leadership and coaching to more junior members of the team to enable them to be highly engaged and perform to their potential.
- Promote best practice and lessons learned across the FM Legal team, especially in relation to legal risks and compliance with relevant regulations and internal policies/procedures.
- Communicate with stakeholders on a regular basis to resolve challenges and road blocks with a client centric approach.
- Act as Risk Control Owner for Legal Enforceability and Liability Risks arising in relation to FM transactions, as outlined under the Operational Risk Framework and associated policies and procedures. Including but not limited to the following, if relevant:
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Bank operates and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to role.
- Operationalisation of OTC regulatory agenda for FM business
- Assist the implementation of the Bank's OTC regulatory reform programme for FM through training.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Head, Legal Financial Markets, AME
- Regional General Counsels, AME
- FM LMT
- Regional Business Heads of FM Sales and Structuring and teams
- Regional FM Business COOs and team
- TCRM, Compliance, Governance
- Regional MANCO
- FM PGC Representatives
Our Ideal Candidate
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures
- Work with Senior Management to develop and roll out approved strategy
- Support a culturally diverse team across functions and geographies
- Keen awareness and understanding of seamless co-ordination at Regional and Product level
- Maintain high standards of professional integrity
About Standard Chartered
- Qualified as advocate and solicitor or attorney in UK, USA, UAE, Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia or comparable jurisdiction
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
- In line with our Fair Pay Charter, we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
- Recruitment assessments - some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers