See job description for details
Now it's your time to join the #1 bank in the Middle East and one of the most prestigious financial companies in the region. Shaking up the world of banking requires a lot of smarts and skill. We're looking for the brightest and best to help us reach our goals and we'll also help you reach yours. Your success is our success as you grow stronger in your career. Join us and leave a legacy of your own, as a pioneer in both the company and the industry.
The role assists the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking to manage legal risk in all the geographies where the FAB Group operates in relation to Private Banking activities in accordance with FAB Group legal policies and procedures. The role holder should be able to work autonomously, but should seek the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking's input on unusual situations, complex matters, and issues which may pose significant legal, financial and/or reputational risk to the FAB Group
- Provides legal advice and support to the business while keeping in mind the FAB Group's strategic and business objectives.
- Provides direction and guidance to facilitate the FAB Group's compliance with all applicable international and domestic laws, rules and regulations.
- Collaborates with the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking to establish, disseminate and implement the FAB Group's legal policies.
- Completes legal tasks and projects in a timely manner and responds to legal queries assigned by the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking.
- Supervises and is responsible for the adequate management of litigation or disputes between the business and its customers in the UAE and abroad.
- Represents FAB and its subsidiaries before the notary public, court experts, courts, and the police to resolve matters in the best interest of the FAB Group.
- Reports relevant litigation matters to the Group General Counsel and Head of Legal - Consumerand Private Banking and provides updates to the relevant stakeholders.
Legal Documentation and Review
- Drafts, reviews and negotiates contracts and other legal documents in order to maximise the FAB Group's legal protections whilst simultaneously minimising legal risks.
- Produces and regularly updates standardised legal agreements, contracts and standard terms and conditions for the FAB Group in compliance with international best practices and applicable legal requirements.
- Assists the business in launching new products and conducts legal and regulatory due diligence on such products, including identifying risks and mitigants in all applicable geographies.
Knowledge of External Environment
- Stays abreast of new laws and regulations through continuous legal education, attending professional conferences, and participating in professional associations.
- Provides updates to the FAB Group's senior business persons on new legislation and regulatory developments that may have an impact on the FAB Group and advises on how to comply with such new legislation and regulations.
- Works closely and develops a positive professional relationship with the other members of the legal function and shares legal knowledge and best practices with legal colleagues, including providing formal and informal training sessions at the direction of the Group General Counsel and Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking.
- Liaises with external law firms and relevant authorities (such as courts) to ensure the effective resolution of all legal matters affecting the FAB Group.
Learning and Development
- Functions as a subject matter expert and provides input on learning and development initiatives including training content to ensure value addition and relevance.
- Ensures that all requisite reports are prepared in a timely and accurate manner and meet the FAB Group's requirements, policies, and standards.
People Management Responsibilities
- Defines goals and key performance indicators for direct reports and ensures effective implementation of the FAB performance management process.
- Develops talent within the team by providing guidance and coaching to achieve defined goals.
- Assists the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking and the business with developing and rolling out new wealth-related products and services.
- Drafts, reviews and negotiates wealth-related documents (e.g. investment documentation, platform agreements, distribution agreements, etc).
- Assists the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking in managing potential disputes and customer complaints in the UAE and abroad.
- Makes recommendations for improvements to policies and processes and streamlining the same to bring about efficiency and improve turn-around time.
- Bachelor's degree in law
- Strong English communication and drafting skills
- Ability to read, write and communicate in Arabic is beneficial but not mandatory
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in a reputed bank or law firm, with at least 2 years in a similar role
- Familiarity with wealth management products and services
- Familiarity with other retail banking products and services is beneficial but not mandatory
- Familiarity with UAE laws and regulations is preferred