2 years experience within an IB analyst program followed by 3-5 years principal investing experience in PE fund investing in European markets.
Degree and / or MBA from a leading reputable school (Ivy League or Red Brick)
If you do not have the above experience please do not apply.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Segment the target market and proactively map it in order to identify superior investment opportunities.
• Focus effort on up-and-comers more than on established firms.
• General: Establish an investment thesis and produce supportive data-based evidence. Identify deal-breakers and key risks to drill down on.
• Quantitative: Analyze past and current performance data and put it in context of the broader investment thesis. Customize analyses according to the particular investment case.
• Qualitative: Determine level of manager interest alignment. Profiling of key individuals and team dynamics in an investment opportunity. Balance own views with relevant third party references.
• Carry out thorough and comprehensive off-site and on-site due diligence visits/examination of the GPs with regards to their performance track record, investment strategy and processes, team, competitive advantage, fund commercial and legal terms, peer comparison, etc.
• Build models for assessing acquisition and disposition proposals.
• Conduct valuation analysis of PED’s existing portfolio of funds/investments and assesses company dynamics, valuation and exit opportunities to derive ‘Buy’/‘Sell’ recommendations.
• Update valuation models incorporating latest available market pricings and information related to PED’s existing portfolio of funds/investments.
• Use proprietary databases/tools (S&P Capital IQ, Thomson EIKON) for researches and internal database relevant to Private Equity. Utilize the PED’s data from the Burgiss, Preqin, eFront, etc. websites’ database.
• Support Line Manager in her PED-wide projects/assignments e.g. weekly update presentations, annual/semi-annual presentations, risk reports, cash flow projections, etc.
• Retain ownership post-closing, follow performance of closed deals and benchmark against initial investment thesis on an ongoing basis.
• Participate in managing the GP relationships relating to the European portfolio of funds (e.g. monitoring and benchmarking of performance, monitoring portfolio balance by region, discipline, fund and GP concentration, attending LP meetings, GP update calls, and major international and regional PE conferences, etc.
• Prepare and discuss internally, as required, periodic monitoring reports. Conduct ongoing review of existing investments’ progress in relation to initial investment objectives.
• Maintain and update records for all activities in the assigned market/fund.
• Attend internal meetings with fund managers and senior management team as required.
• Prepare materials and questions for meetings and manager conferences, and prepare reports on meetings.
• Carry out other similar or related duties, such as researching and preparing ad hoc studies, analysis, reports etc. as required.
• Proactively develop less experienced colleagues.
Technical Expertise / Skills / Knowledge
• Analytical skills:
o Intellectual acumen, decisive, able to quickly identify and prioritize pros and cons. Able to establish supportive evidence for an investment thesis. Experience in financial modelling.
o Demonstrate sound understanding of the different asset classes in private equity, including knowledge of Modern Portfolio Theory and understanding of risk/return attributes. Identify different risk/return attributes to PE and the main elements to construct a well-diversified PE portfolio.
• People skills: Able to read and judge people. Is inquisitive and able to keep a natural conversation flow in manager meetings, yet cover all relevant topics needed for building the investment case.
• Sales skills: Able to win GPs over and make a case for the firm as a preferred counterparty.
• Communication skills: Present relevant findings in a concise fashion, verbally and in writing.
• Pattern recognition skills: Able to compare and contrast fund managers based on experience patterns.
• Big picture skills: Able to lift the outcome of a particular analysis to a broader takeaway (connects dots).
• Legal knowledge: Understands market standard for legal terms to ensure GP/LP interest alignment.