At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference. This job is eligible for 100% remote work. Job Summary
Builds relationships with Financial Advisors and internal partners. Develops the skills necessary to successfully underwrite Life, Disability, and/or Long-term Care insurance policies in an inclusive and fast-paced environment ensuring all quality, service and production goals are met. Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
Field & Client Experience
- Responsible for credible and effective"relations and communication with field and customer to include responding to case appeals/inquiries and assists with placing business.
- Provides guidance and assistance to the Northwestern Mutual"Financial Network and Financial Representatives regarding"case underwriting and risk appraisal.
- Responsible for prescreen inquiries.
- Responsible for the analysis and appraisal of a broad range of insurance"applications; approves, classifies, or declines applications for various ages and"policy amounts with guidance, as needed.
- Independently reviews applications and adheres to underwriting"standards and demonstrates an intermediate level of experience with NM product types and changes.
- Develops and demonstrates change agility while maintaining mortality and morbidity expectations.
- Demonstrates continuous learning through the early adoption of new ways of underwriting.
- Develops proficiency with Reinsurance programs and determining where to best place a case.
- Underwrites applications, maintaining industry-leading mortality and morbidity"giving the best possible offer that can be made. Provides active case and"requirement management and provides customized service with guidance.
- Communicates & negotiates with Field"Partners to explain modified or declined decisions & assist in policy placement.
- Develops proficiency in financial, medical, and lay underwriting assessments and provides innovations solutions to keep Northwestern Mutual as the choice of our customers.
- Actively utilizes the most effective means to obtain"the necessary information, including digital health data, Internet"searches, direct contact with the insured, and"communication with third party advisors"(Accountants, Attorneys, etc.) with limited guidance.
- Discusses cases with peer reviewers with medical and technical staff,"as needed.
- Understands and meets all quality, service, and"production goals.
- Solves issues & escalations, with guidance as needed.
- Partners with Underwriting Support for case management
- May serve as underwriting representative for improvement in"product process w/collaboration w/functional partners.
- Participates in other projects as needed.
- A bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 2 years of Life underwriting experience required.
- Analytical skills with the ability to make independent decisions and apply sound judgment in the application of rules.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to handle confidential information, exercise tact, diplomacy, and resourcefulness.
- Proficient in computer skills and using various software packages.
- Ability to work accurately while maintaining speed and flexibility in a team and independent production environment.
- Highly organized with the ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Displays agility to manage multiple tasks and adapt in a changing work environment.
Claims Analysis - Intermediate
Cross-Functional Partnerships - Basic
Customer Service - Intermediate
Detail-Oriented - Intermediate
Field Consulting - Intermediate
Financial Analysis - Intermediate
Insurance Products - Intermediate
Insurance Underwriting - Intermediate
Process Improvement - Basic
Risk Analysis - Intermediate Benefits:
- Competitive base pay
- Pension plan
- Educational assistance
- Performance based incentive pay
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Caregiver time off
- ....and more
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
N ort hwester n Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.