- Arlington, VA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Sands Capital Management
- 02 Oct 18
About the Firm Sands Capital is an independent, employee-owned investment management firm based in Arlington, Virginia. Since 1992, Sands Capital has provided investment management services, primarily on a discretionary basis, to taxable and tax-exempt investors, including pension plans, endowments, foundations, mutual funds, charitable organizations, state, municipal and foreign government entities, Taft-Hartley plans, and high-net worth families and individuals. Sands Capital’s investment strategies employ a fundamental, bottom-up research process that aims to identify high-quality growth businesses on a global basis – from early-stage private businesses to leading public companies. Sands Capital currently manages over $45 billion in client assets.
Identified below are our Core Values that we hold in high regard and believe are critical for high-performing teams and individuals at Sands Capital:
Integrity & Trust: Do what is right, not what is popular. Deliver on commitments.
Client-Centered: Always act in the best interest of our clients.
Commitment to Excellence: Strive to learn and improve. Implement best practices.
Sands Capital is seeking a motivated Research Associate (RA) to join our Life Sciences Research Team. This individual will support and assist our experienced team of Research Analysts to help monitor existing investments and conduct research on new investment ideas within the global healthcare sector for our domestic, global and emerging market growth portfolios. The primary areas of research include innovative companies in the biotechnology, medical devices, specialty pharmaceuticals, and healthcare services sub-sectors.
The Life Sciences RA is responsible for:
- Successfully completing all research projects by:
- Creating and maintaining financial models that support the investment decision process
- Crafting well-informed and succinct earning notes and headlines
- Preparing presentations to support bringing new ideas to the portfolio
Executing on functional tasks by:
- Accurately uploading proprietary company data to FactSet
- Running and distributing key company and portfolio level reports
- Updating and maintaining key Investment Team and sector-specific documents and tools to include: company models, sector screens and data tracking
Developing a strong team dynamic by building and sustaining effective and supportive working relationships within and between sectors by:
- Prioritizing research with your sector Team(s) and sector heads
- Establishing transparency and embracing best practices by communicating priorities, projects, and other status updates with the sector team(s) and sector heads
- Exhibiting the behaviors consistent with Sands Capital’s values and culture
The candidate is expected to work for 3-4 years before returning to graduate school or leaving to pursue other opportunities.
Necessary Skills and Qualifications
- B.S. or B.A. degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Pre-Medicine, Science or other relevant major. Strong academic performance – please include GPA on resume
- A genuine and demonstrable passion for investment research. Specific aptitude or demonstrated interest in biotechnology, medical technology and/or healthcare services is strongly preferred.
- 0-3 years of experience analyzing companies and industries, including investment banking, sell-side research management consulting, and/or business development at a life sciences operating company
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional work ethic and an ability to complete assigned projects in a timely manner without direct supervision
- Outstanding analytical and strategic aptitude
- CFA charter-holder or CFA candidate preferred, but not required
- Language capabilities in Mandarin is a significant plus, but not required
To be considered, candidates must submit a cover letter and resume that specifically outlines your qualifications for the position and why you want to work at Sands Capital. Please address the following topics in your cover letter:
1. How you cultivated an interest in investing.
2. Why you are interested in Sands Capital.
If you wish to apply for this position, please do so via Sands Capital Management’s Careers page at: http://sandscapital.com/careers/
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
Sands Capital Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer.