- Salt Lake City, UT, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Ryan Specialty Group
- 10 Oct 18
The Underwriter is focused on developing and maintaining a profitable book of Transportation business by building relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The Underwriters work closely with other Underwriting colleagues (junior and senior) as well as Underwriting Assistants in the prioritization and processing of the quotes including risk evaluation, pricing and terms and conditions. This position will be a remote position, while we work on building our office in Salt Lake City, UT remote applicants welcomed.
Ryan Specialty Group (RSG) is an international specialty insurance organization that provides innovative solutions for brokers, agents and insurance carriers. The RSG family includes a wholesale brokerage operation, RT Specialty (RT), and a collection of managing general underwriting companies within RSG Underwriting Managers (RSGUM). RSG was founded by Mr. Patrick G. Ryan, the retired Chairman and CEO of Aon Corporation. A highly regarded insurance veteran, Mr. Ryan saw the need for a specialty organization devoted exclusively to creating sophisticated insurance and risk management solutions for a select group of hard-to-place risks. With its mission of delivering measurable value, RSG is committed to providing specialty insurance services, proven leadership, outstanding industry experience and quality services in all of our exchanges with retail agents and brokers, and insurance carriers worldwide.
Interstate Insurance Management (IIM) a subsidiary of Ryan Specialty Group Underwriting Managers, is seeking an experienced Transportation Underwriter to join our Salt Lake City, UT team. The ideal candidate will have prior Transportation experience, Excess and Surplus Lines experience, a plus. The candidate must have outstanding verbal and written communicate skills, as well as the ability to work with others in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment. Attention to detail, a strong sense of integrity and discretion, and a professional demeanor are all mandatory.
The Underwriter is focused on developing and maintaining a profitable book of Transportation business by building relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The Underwriters work closely with other Underwriting colleagues (junior and senior) as well as Underwriting Assistants in the prioritization and processing of the quotes including risk evaluation, pricing and terms and conditions. This position will be a remote position, while we work on building our office in Salt Lake City, UT remote applicants welcomed.
- Holds the appropriate licenses for all marketing jurisdictions.
- Communication of risk appetite and the RSGUM Value proposition to the agent.
- Develop strong, long term relationships with the agents to add to a profitable book of business.
- Manage internal and external relationships that will contribute to a superior service experience for the agent and broker customer.
- Senior level underwriters will provide guidance and direction to junior staff including underwriters and underwriting assistants as needed.
- Quickly evaluate, prioritize, and select submissions and price risks that will develop an underwriting profit for the carrier; refer or decline risks that present excessive risk.
- Liaise with resources for individual risk assessment, including financial and Safety Data.
- Collaborate with internal team on targeted, desirable accounts.
- Recognize and create cross sell opportunities for other products.
- Work with agents to understand options that best meet insured needs.
- Negotiate terms and conditions with the agent or broker.
- Participate in RSGUM underwriting projects as needed.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Minimum of five (5) years Truck Underwriting required and E&S products preferred.
- Bachelors preferred.
- Strong analytical and negotiating skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel to agent and broker, carrier, and employer meetings.
- Ability to work in a highly automated, paperless environment, including specialized software packages.
- Basic computer skills including MS Office Suite.
Ryan Specialty Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer