Software Development Engineer
The Customer and Account Technology (CAT) organization at Schwab is comprised of teams that support Schwab business goals through the delivery of technology solutions that focus on providing enhancements and functionalities that is needed to support our client's information, profile and experience. CAT is looking for a motivated and energetic, experienced managing director to advance our Platform offerings.
What youre good at
You will create a vision and execute on that vision for the critical data and services that Customer and Account Technology is responsible for. You are a critical leader for our modernization effort from the resource strategy to the delivery and implementation strategy of a monolithic, Mainframe platform to a distributed, cloud based, micro services platform. There will be a number of development and infrastructure related projects charged with improving the overall development and operational process as well as performance, capacity, availability, and security.
As a member of the management team you will lead the future core platforms, mentor and develop engineering staff, and influence the security, integration, service, and host architecture of internal front- and back- end applications.
You will be immersed in a collaborative, innovative, and technically challenging environment with opportunities to lead software engineering projects through the entire software development lifecycle including production support. You will manage teams from different locations and offshore resources.
- Run medium to large/complex projects with multiple dependencies
- Use your technology affinity and experience, as well as attention to detail to design, execute & maintain strategic goals & metrics
- Effectively inspire and influence teams and partners in delivering technology enabled business solutions that meet business needs
- Execute at scale in a dynamic environment
- Build strong relationships and promote collaboration
- Identify talent, recruit, hire, and build high performing teams
- Coach, mentor, and provide direct, timely performance feedback, as well as, set direction, track progress, and ensure accountability
- Thrive a flexible and fast-paced environment across multiple time zones and locations.
What you have
Excellent skills and expertise in systems engineering, software engineering, and quality assurance. You will use your strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving and organizational skills to lead teams, influence and maintain and advance these platforms.
- 15+ years of IT experience with progressive development into leadership, project and offshore vendor management capabilities.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills in Agile development environment
- Experience and deep understanding of modern Java and database tech stack
- Experience building cloud native solutions and public cloud hosted platforms
- Prior experience managing large development teams in a complex project environment with a proven track record of successful delivery
- Broader technical understanding of architecture and design
- 10+ years of leading and managing technical teams in delivery of high quality Digital solutions
- 5+ years’ experience with running medium to large/complex projects with multiple dependencies.
- Prior experience with Agile (Scrum/XP) processes in planning, implementation and support of business application components, including change & release management
- Strong knowledge of software architecture, development, testing, maintenance and support
- Technical Professional experience building enterprise applications at scale with high availability and reliability.
- Bachelor of Computer Science or similar discipline
- 3+ years’ experience in Financial Services Industry a with a focus on risk controls is a strong plus
- Span of control – managed technology/project teams of 100 plus people
- Master’s degree preferred
You demonstrate these behaviors:
- Diagnostic Information Gathering
- Business Acumen
- Managing Change
- Influencing Others
- Developing Others
- Fostering Teamwork - Team Leaders