Senior Manager, Technical Support
Information Technology Operations (ITO) is seeking a Senior Manager with a demonstrable record of success building and leading teams in a support capacity. The role is hiring in the Westlake, TX area for the early morning shift. The ITO teams handle risk to the firm by monitoring the real-time health of software applications running on over 40,000 servers across a complicated network environment in multiple physical locations. This support covers a 24/7 x 365 calendar, requiring round-the-clock accessibility, therefore schedule flexibility is a necessity. The role that you will be applying for is in the Westlake, TX campus with the shift hours of 9:00 PM EST – 7:30 AM EST, Mon – Thu with shift differential.
The primary function of the ITO role is to serve as stewards of the firm’s technology offering, assuring that systems are available and “balanced” around the clock. As such, the ITO Sr. Manager and their team will be measured by accessibility metrics such as “Mean Time to Detect” and “Mean Time to Restore.” Much of the ITO role is spent reviewing programmatic alerts and making a determination as to whether or not there is an imminent system issue as a result. If a system issue is anticipated, the ITO team coordinates the parties that can make an immediate repair, regardless of the time of day.
The ITO Sr. Manager will oversee employees both locally and remotely, teaming with other ITO Sr. Managers to assure that employees have seamless support. It is expected that the ITO Sr. Manager be accessible by phone if an employee needs guidance and the Sr. Manager is not physically accessible.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable record of building successful teams by using positive-reinforcement to create an engaging team environment. Because ITO is a career-path organization, it should be anticipated that employees will move on to more advanced roles requiring deeper domain expertise in a technology discipline.
What youre good at
- Collaborate with team members to assure round-the-clock monitoring of Schwab systems.
- Create an engaging work environment by practicing positive reinforcement through recognition.
- Promote a positive service mentality where needs of our business partners are supported with enthusiasm.
- Anticipate and identify barriers to our employees’ success, thinking ahead and working with business partners to avert challenges hindering a positive business outcome.
- Create team scheduling to balance incoming workload with personal development and training.
- Identify the professional passions of team members in order to assign work functions and career development opportunities to the best outcome for everyone.
- Manage to an evolving environment, including the adoption of new support tools and technologies.
- Have a keen awareness of the team’s business objectives and assure that teams are meeting or exceeding the productivity metrics in the ITO annual business plan.
- Constantly seek to streamline workflow to assure the team is at maximum efficiency.
- Document new processes and procedures to assure the ongoing supportability of Schwab products.
- Present analytics to senior leaders at the firm to gain support for improving business operations.
- Ensure approval workflows are implemented for publishing and revising documents.
What you have
Preferred Technical Skills
- 2+ years of work experience on a datacenter operations team.
- 5+ years of management experience, preferably in the financial industry.
- A professional brand that earns a reputation of high-energy with a positive attitude.
- An awareness of high-level business objectives and the commitment to insert yourself into the areas of greatest need to accomplish those business objectives above the expectations of leadership.
- The ability to champion new ideas and lead process improvements to the best business outcome for the team.
- A passion for actively participating in internal and external recruiting to find opportunities to create a team with a diverse background, assuring a broad experience range.
- The courage to proactively and independently face challenges head-on while understanding the broader potential impacts.
- A concept of “business ownership” with experience in risk mitigation and personal ownership of the positive outcomes for both the team and the business, exhibiting the highest level of integrity and ethics.
- The ability to work in dynamic environment with changing priorities.
- Fluency in technical vernacular fostering accurate communication to employees and engineers. While it is not expected that a senior manager be able to perform advanced technical functions themselves, they will be expected to be able to support employees that are subject-matter experts in various technical disciplines including networking, mainframe and distributed applications.
- Customer focused with a passion and drive for customer satisfaction and delivering value to our business partners.
- Experience working in technology operations or production support teams.
- Existing skills in using Remedy ITSM system or the ability to quickly learn them.
- Existing experience in using BMC’s Smart IT or similar knowledge management systems.
- Familiarity using BMC’s Atrium or similar Configuration Management Database systems.
- Skill in using Atlassian’s Confluence or similar applications.
- Skills and knowledge of Agile project management.
- Having a flexible schedule for engaging across multiple shifts in multiple locations.
- Knowledge and experience with Lean IT Foundations & Kaizen.
- Basic understanding of SQL and Oracle databases.
- Basic knowledge of contemporary reporting applications (I.E. Tableau, MoogSoft, Splunk)
- Basic understanding of networking terminology.