Head of GCT Engineering Risk Controls
Brief Description of the Organization
Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients' and the public's trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve.
Citi's Global Consumer Bank (GCB) is building a purpose-driven team to serve its globally diverse, digitally forward customers in top cities around the world. We're looking for exceptional candidates who think digitally and differently, resolve problems in unconventional ways and strive to provide a remarkable experience for our clients. We define success by our Citi Leadership Standards: Develops our People, Drives Value for Clients, Works as a Partner, Champions Progress, Lives our Values and Delivers Results. Overview of the Role
Reporting to the Head of Global Consumer Technology, the Head of GCT Engineering, Risk & Controls is responsible for ensuring that we have the engineering discipline and technology capabilities to effectively manage risk and enable a robust controls environment across GCT.
The executive leader in this role will lead the engineering functions for controls automation and the digitization of monitoring for GCT, with a focus on our engineering and automation capabilities. This includes embedding security engineering as a discipline within our product design and development lifecycle, as well as accelerating the adoption of best practices across development teams via automated CI/CD pipelines.
This position is a critical strategic role that will partner closely with Regional CIOs, Heads of Technology and Business Leaders to develop and execute a strategy. Objective
Drive purposeful thought leadership, strategy and execution for GCT's Engineering, Risk and Controls organization. Identify and scale solutions to enhance engineering capabilities, embed security engineering, implement secure coding practices, partner with Technology leaders to reduce technical debt, and implement industry standard risk frameworks to track and manage Technology risk. A strong focus is required on implementation and adoption of automated controls to mitigate technology risk. Requires a "renaissance" leader with an entrepreneurial mindset, able to influence change at all levels of the organization, and deliver globally to achieve results. Able to demonstrate how enhancements to our Engineering, Risk and Controls can improve business results and engineering quality. Priorities Include:
Organizational Scope and Accountability
- Lead an engineering organization with a laser focus to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of our control environment through automation, adoption of best practices, elimination of technical debt, vulnerability resolution and quality control monitoring.
- As a First Line of Defense function this person will need to build trusted relationships with Technology, Risk and Business Leaders, as well as serving as a credible contact for Regulators.
- Lead the digitization of monitoring for GCB, with a focus on real-time data and clear visualizations that enable data-driven decision-making.
- Implement security engineering as part of the product design & development lifecycle.
- Lead implementation and adoption of secure coding practices via automated CI/CD pipelines.
- Partner with regional CIOs and Heads of Technology to reduce technical debt by eliminating EOVS, implement automated patch management, resolve vulnerabilities and eliminate past-due security findings.
- Centralized issue management, and on-time resolution of CAPs and Risk Exceptions.
- Partner with CBORC-Tech organization to implement industry standard risk frameworks to track and manage Technology risk
- Implement automated controls to mitigate technology risks.
- Ensures the organization is defining and implementing Risk & Control practices, processes and solutions that are in alignment with the strategy and goals.
- Provide central oversight for key activities such as engineering quality/efficiency standards, operational excellence and SDLC adherence.
- Spearhead an organization that embeds Risk & Control into all processes and procedures, with the goal of enhancing our ability to deliver with quality and stability.
- Develop and implement best-in-class processes, metrics and practices.
- Establish and build relationships and partnerships across business, technology and operational lines.
- Provide leadership, development opportunities, performance management, development and succession-planning, staff communications, and positive interactive working environment to ensure the highest productivity and employee engagement, globally.
- Strong interaction with Technology teams. Represent GCT on key Senior Management forums at Regional and Global levels, including Risk, O&T and Finance.
- Act as the focal point for Technology leaders in knowing, understanding and synthesizing the state of the control environment.
- Provide vision, leadership and direction for Risk & Controls across GCT. Serve as the global voice to gain alignment on and drive execution of strategy. Ensure organizational effectiveness/accountability, global optimizations, and superior products / services within an environment of continuous learning & growth.
- Champion an inclusive and diverse global mindset in order to attract a deep and diverse talent pool within the organization that includes effective coaching and development.
- Ultimate accountability for a robust controls environment. This includes driving excellence in engineering capabilities, automation, monitoring, risk mitigation, compliance and culture.
- Evaluate opportunities and enable measurable improvements quickly and best utilize resources, while building an automation roadmap that matches strategy and direction. Effectively scale regional solutions globally where appropriate.
- Ensure effective controls are in place across the organization.
- Manage best-in-class quality and simplification methodology and governance of process management.
- Partner with senior engineers and engineering managers to develop best practices.
- Establish and maintain a high performing, open culture based on integrity and strong partnership and financial responsibility.
The ideal candidate will come from an international organization and be a visionary leader in risk & control, automation and monitoring. Bachelor degree in computer science, business or a related field. Masters degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- 20+ years relevant work experience, including experience leading large, cross-functional teams across engineering, program management and risk & control.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; Data driven and results-oriented.
- Experience in affecting large culture change.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work with seamlessly with remote teams
- Experience delivering with an agile methodology.
- Capability to define a well thought out organizational strategy and execute on an associated operational plan.
- Exceptional strategic analysis, problem solving, issue resolution and decision making skills.
- Leadership skills: individual leadership, change leadership, mentorship, motivation, coaching and development, and the ability to galvanize the support of others where possible.
- Highly detail-oriented, deadline-driven, and able to embrace change without frustration.
- Delivery of high-quality strategic large-scale projects.
- Ability to manage senior staff as well as manage staff remotely across multiple locations, time zones and cultures.
- Demonstrated track record and ability to influence external organizations.
- Self-directed, motivated and managed; ability to deal with imperfect information, decision and drive to successful conclusions.
- Experience leading re-organization and uniting teams to work collaboratively.
- Ability to handle constant pressure and juggle multiple demands.
- Flexibility with travel.
- Demonstrated ability to work across organizational boundaries and geographies.
- Understanding of the agile software development processes and lifecycle with understanding of financial impacts.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating and driving safe, sound processes through review, evaluation, and management of effective controls.
- Strong risk management and ability to look beyond to the next set of challenges.
- Great at mentoring, coaching as well as being a diversity champion.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a Team of executives for common purpose.
- Dynamic, engaging style with excellent written and oral communication across different audiences and levels.
- Self-directed, effective at prioritizing tasks, managing time, organizing people and getting things done.
- Excellent organization skills; must be able to manage disparate tasks, project plans and ad-hoc teams without solid lines of authority.
- Strong analytical, strategic thinking and communication skills - must have ability to synthesize, develop and present clear and concise recommendations.
- Collaborative and team player, ensuring overall business success.
- Exceptional influencing skills with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- A rounded knowledge of operations organization in a large scale, complex organization is critical.
- Strong talent focus and ability to successfully recruit and develop experts from leading organizations across the globe.
- Ability to communicate a compelling vision and inspire others to deliver on an ambitious, complex, global roadmap.
- Ability to engage and influence stakeholders at all levels within an organization, from the most technical engineer to the most savvy business / executive leader.
- Possess uncompromising ethics, unwavering integrity and understanding of risk & regulatory process, as well as outstanding communications and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with the major line of business activities within a large global financial institution. Broad financial expertise with knowledge of corporate affairs, financial and economic fundamentals, and business policies, products, processes, systems and roles.
Job Family Group:
- Take the lead on the design, implementation, and successful delivery of large-scale risk & control capabilities.
- Pragmatic problem solver, applying judgment and experience to balance trade-offs between competing interests. You are flexible, adapting your approach to meet the needs of the organization.
- Play a significant role in the career development of others.
- Keep abreast of industry trends. You effectively research and benchmark our technology against other competitors in the industry. You understand that many problems are not essentially new.
- Capable of driving change across a large global organization through thoughtful planning, building productive relationships and ensuring accountability.
- Be creative and passionate, driven by a desire for innovation and creation of an amazing client experience - smart risk taking - outside the box thinking.
- Able to understand organization's goals, capabilities and gaps to gain alignment on a successful strategy.
- Builds talent and develops teams including celebrating excellence, initiative and courage; actively looks to recruit highest level talent.
- Enables economic value and positive social impact for clients, companies, governments, and communities.
- Works collaboratively and encourages others to achieve the best results for our clients.
- Thinks and acts both globally and regionally to identify scalable solutions and promote alignment of strategies while allowing for market differences.
- Champions a culture of high standards, pushes for progress, embraces change and challenges the status quo.
- Stays up to date with industry trends and brings industry knowledge to Citi while exemplifying a transformational mindset.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify and act upon unique insights and apply them to solve unmet needs and an expertise leveraging/synthesizing competitor, emerging technology, and other marketplace trends to draw out implications to support the team's overall mission and goals.
Technology Job Family:
Technology Management Time Type:
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi") invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi
View the " EEO is the Law
" poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement
View the EEO Policy Statement
View the Pay Transparency Posting