Market Risk - Risk Management Group
- Houston, TX, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Macquarie Group
- 11 Sep 17
The Risk Management Group has an exciting opportunity in Houston within their Market Risk team. Individuals should have 4-6 years of experience covering energy markets.
Macquarie Group is a global diversified financial group. It acts primarily as an investment intermediary for institutional, corporate and retail clients and counterparties around the world. Founded in 1969, Macquarie employs 13,597 people in over 27 countries. As of March 2017, Macquarie had assets under management of $A481.7 billion.
At Macquarie, we offer you the experience and freedom to grow your career whilst making your mark within a highly successful organization. Key to our success is the entrepreneurialism we encourage in all our people. We give you the opportunity to progress your career as quickly as you can demonstrate your ability.
The Risk Management Group is an independent, centralised unit responsible for ensuring all risk across Macquarie are appropriately assessed and managed. Its divisions include Credit, Prudential, Capital and Markets, Market Risk, Operational Risk, Compliance, Quantitative Applications and Internal Audit.
Market Risk is concerned with measuring and limiting Macquarie's exposure to adverse movements in market rates - stock prices, commodity prices, interest rates, and foreign exchange rates. Due to the diversity and complexity of the products that Macquarie trades, this is a constantly challenging responsibility, but one that is pivotal to the Macquarie way of doing business.
On a daily basis, Market Risk is responsible for setting, monitoring, reporting and enforcing risk limits across all the trading areas of the Group. In addition, Market Risk approval is required on all new deals and products prior to trading. Whether it is an innovative exotic derivative structure, or the purchase of an entire trading business, Market Risk analysts work closely with the front office to ensure that the risks arising from the new venture are fully understood, and adequately constrained.
The Risk Management Group has an opportunity for a talented Market Risk professional to join the team in Houston.
- Be involved in the approval of new products, businesses and trading strategies.
- Be directly responsible for monitoring and reporting risk metrics on a daily basis to senior management, including the Managing Director. In doing so, you will gain exposure to a wide range of businesses and products from around the globe.
- Interact constantly with the front office traders to ensure that the market risks arising from day-to-day trading positions are fully understood and managed appropriately within the limit framework.
- Be immersed in the global energy markets. Understanding what drives energy markets and keeping abreast of market news and trends is a vital part of understanding and identifying potential risks.
- Liaise with back office and support staff to ensure that the trading systems adequately represent the risk profile of the trading books, and that risk numbers are reported in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assess the appropriateness of mathematical derivative pricing models within the context of real-world market conditions.
- Supervise and guide market risk analysts within the team.
- Operate in a global environment with staff in Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, London, New York and Houston.
- Bachelor's degree required
- 4-6 years of prior risk management experience and exposure to energy markets
- Ability to balance between being immersed in the detailed, day-to-day activity and problem-solving versus managing higher level, longer term activities and objectives
- Strong analytical ability and judgment
- Effective presentation skills including strong written communication
- Ability to sustain high level of performance under pressure with short deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills to foster strong relationships with clients and stakeholders across all levels
- Able to conceptualize, anticipate and articulate emerging issues
- Strong MS Excel skills
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, marital status, gender identity or any other impermissible criterion or circumstance. Macquarie also takes affirmative action in support of its policy to hire and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.