Director, Business Controls
Business Controls Global Lead (BCQ) Grade
: (relevant for internal applicants only) 12 The Location:
Singapore / London / Houston The Team:
The mission of the Business Controls team is to manage and monitor risk across the organization and support the S&P Global Platts strategy efficiently and transparently through high quality in business risk and control capabilities. Its vision is to have a connected organization that is highly respected for operational excellence through risk management in support of business decision making and strategic execution at S&P Global Platts. The Impact:
The role will lead the Business Controls team which assess operational risk and the adequacy of controls, protecting the business and providing sound 1st line governance, and driving continuous improvement. The position will use a variety of measures to assess risk, working closely with the Platts risk officer and the Head of BCQ, helping to improve transparency and drive strategic change within the organization. What's in it for you:
This role will lead across key activities such as:
- Continually assessing and improving the controls environment using risk management tools / structures, and through leadership and influence.
- Exposure to Platts' business globally, giving the individual exposure and understanding of all business processes.
- Interaction with teams across Legal, Risk, Compliance, Operations, Commercial, Content and Product enabling the individual to manage an established network as a trusted expert and agent for change, in risks and controls.
- Working closely with peers across other S&P Global Divisions sharing best practices and building upon the existing Platts network.
- Building out the future strategy for Business Controls within Platts to reduce risk and operate more effectively providing the OpCo with greater transparency around risk and controls management.
- Drives the strategy and execution on 1st line operational risk and controls to support the 2nd line of defense and Platts leadership.
- Taking the lead from the Business in aligning the priorities of the 2nd and 3rd lines of defense. Within the framework executing and constantly improving the risk & controls program.
What We're Looking For: Basic Qualifications:
- Develop leaders across the controls team so they can act autonomously, develop and become strong effective Controls representatives to serve as the 1st line of defense to support across Content, Commercial and Product.
- Continue to build a high performing team that proactively identify operational risk, support the business to design strong controls that address operational risk (including managing MAPs).
- Maintain and set up the management of effective governance for operational risk, and coordinate and run our risk assessment process.
- Sponsor and build capabilities within your direct reports to execute effectively with discipline on business controls related projects.
- Act as a key liaison point between functions critical for governance execution. Manage communication with key stakeholders so that they are well informed and engaged in Controls related activities.
- Work with Senior Leaders to support problem solving and coordination to strengthen the risk & controls framework, roles and responsibilities supporting execution. Drive solutions to deliver effectively, efficiently, and quickly within the ERM framework and regulated environment.
- Develop and execute an aligned talent strategy that includes strategic hiring, capabilities to build a high performing globally distributed team.
- Lead Platts efforts for Information Governance and Support the Corporate Data Privacy initiative.
- Where needed support the Controls team in active management of local BCM execution
- Experience in a leadership capacity in business controls is essential to balance effectiveness, efficiency and risk. You must be able to define and implement operational excellence and lead a distributed global team. Understanding regional, cultural, and operating environment differences is essential to developing an effective global approach.
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA, CFA (equivalent) or Graduate Degree preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant experience and knowledge of sound practices relating to building and implementing and effective system of internal controls and experience in leading control efforts.
- The role requires a deep understanding of S&P Global Platts business, with experience working across multiple functions. You must be able to engage effectively and credibly with an executive audience.
Compensation/Benefits Information (US Applicants Only):
- Ability to influence and develop strong partnerships with senior leaders in other risk and control functions including Compliance, Audit, ERM, Legal.
- Able to convey complex risk topics, including progress of remediation efforts, statuses of issues, etc. to varied audiences (e.g., Business Leaders, OpCo, Regulators, etc.) with precision and simplicity.
- Ability to critically think and frame key risk and business issues and provide context.
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Strong judgement / pragmatic approach to risk and business controls with the ability to frame and drive balanced decisions.
- Strong lean / agile / kaizen mindset.
- Ability to lead and manage global teams.
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $82,600 to $171,500. Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location.
In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for an annual incentive plan.
This role is eligible to receive additional S&P Global benefits. For more information on the benefits we provide to our employees, visit https://www.spgbenefitessentials.com/newhires . About S&P Global Platts and S&P Global
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com.
S&P Global has a Securities Disclosure and Trading Policy ("the Policy") that seeks to mitigate conflicts of interest by monitoring and placing restrictions on personal securities holding and trading. The Policy is designed to promote compliance with global regulations. In some Divisions, pursuant to the Policy's requirements, candidates at S&P Global may be asked to disclose securities holdings. Some roles may include a trading prohibition and remediation of positions when there is an effective or potential conflict of interest. Employment at S&P Global is contingent upon compliance with the Policy.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
202 - Middle Professional (EEO Job Group) (inactive), 20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), OPRTON202.2 - Middle Professional Tier II (EEO Job Group) Job ID:
266663 Posted On:
Houston, Texas, United States