Risk Credit Risk Vice President
The Risk division is responsible for credit, market and operational risk, model risk, independent liquidity risk, and insurance throughout the firm.
We are seeking a VP level candidate to join the Credit Risk oversight team focusing on unsecured lending to consumers and small businesses. Typical responsibilities and duties include the following:
- Partner with business units and broader Credit department to assess data availability, data sufficiency, and appropriate modelling approaches. (all encompassing)
- Evaluate/ challenge and approve usage for internal and external credit scoring models and/or financial forecasting models, built using both traditional and other advanced predictive technologies, segmentation and optimization tools.
- Deep knowledge of credit/ financials to review and approve large size loan decisions
- Experience with evaluating exception requests and writing memo to document decisions, defining governance/ control to manage exceptions and manual reviews.
- Specifically, review, effectively challenge the credit policy underwriting criteria developed using a multitude of complex time series data from credit bureaus and other vendors.
- Evaluate and recommend changes to existing policies.
- Ensure adequate portfolio governance in establishing risk and resiliency levels including the design and development of a set of quantitative metrics with guardrails under which the credit policy and business strategies operate. Track the actual performance for these metrics against approved guardrails and provide updates to relevant governance committee and recommend change or remediation as appropriate.
- Initiate and conduct studies of customer groups and product types and develop statistical/financial models for projections (i.e. acquisition financial models, loss forecasts, capacity planning). Develop models for projections (e.g. delinquency and charge-offs, cost and profitability, credit limit setting, and other aspects of account management). Specifically, evaluate credit loss assumptions for benign and stress case scenarios used for valuation models at acquisitions, portfolio performance monitoring and conduct independent validation and monitoring of portfolio and vintage level loan performance compared to projections.
- Initiate and conduct complex research projects and/or statistical models in programs such as account acquisitions, account management, collections, fraud and operations. (all encompassing)
- Establish requirements for data maintenance and management and working with Technology on implementation. Create Management reporting using Tableau or other cutting-edge visual interface-based tools to monitor portfolio performance at portfolio segment (e.g., product, vintage, risk segment, score band, or marketing channel), vintage and account levels to identify positive and negative trends such as improved portfolio quality or heightened delinquencies and recommend strategy changes to the Business.
- Gathers and analyzes portfolio and macro-economic data to determine potential impact on business performance. Design and writes ad-hoc programs for statistical analysis of portfolio performance, conduct comprehensive analysis, summarize and present regularly to Executive Management.
- Develop/guide junior staff and work with cross functional teams to deliver the outcome.
- Be up to date on applicable regulations and compliance requirements in consumer finance with interactions and updates to internal and external regulators. (all encompassing)
- Adhere strictly to compliance and operational risk controls in accordance with company and regulatory standards, policies and practices; report control weaknesses, compliance breaches and operational loss events. Address internal audit requirements and findings in a timely and appropriate manner (all encompassing)
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS/DEGREE AND FIELD:
Strong Quantitative/ analytical skill with Master’s degree (U.S. or equivalent) in a quantitative discipline such as Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Data Science/Analytics or a related field like Information Systems, Business Analytics.
MINIMUM YEARS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
7+ years of experience working in risk management, data science, predictive modeling or other similar quantitative functions across Consulting, Financial Services including Banks, FinTech, managing a consumer/ small businesses lending business
Prior Work & Academic Experience:
- Experience in unsecured consumer/ Small Business lending (e.g., installment loans, credit cards) preferred and expertise with credit bureau data (consumer & small business) as well as familiarity with alternate credit related data sources
- Experience in manually reviewing the request including financial review and writing memos to deliver the outcome
- Experience in retail credit risk analytics including 5+ years of retail strategy with credit policy/underwriting criteria development, performing portfolio deep dive analytics including performance measurement and insight generation to influence credit policy
- Experience with statistical techniques including segmentation, decision trees and other advanced risk predictive modeling methods
- Experience mentoring, training and working one on one with junior analysts/associates as needed
- Experience working cross functionally in a matrixed environment.
- Strong Excel skills and experience using statistical tools such as SAS, SQL, R, Python (or similar) and big data platforms like Hadoop, Spark (or similar)
- Strong writing, presentation and communication skills with ability to deliver executive communication; technical writing and model documentation experience desired
- Strong project management / organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently