Sr. Cloud Engineer, Core Engineering
- Austin, TX, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- PIMCO Europe Ltd
- 22 Apr 19
Sr. Cloud Engineer, Core Engineering
PIMCO is one of the world's premier fixed income investment managers with more than 2,200 professionals around the world united in a single purpose: creating opportunities for our clients in every environment. Since 1971, we have brought innovation and expertise to our partnership with the institutions, financial advisors and millions of individual investors who entrust us with their assets. We aspire to cultivate performance and leadership through empowering our people, diversity of thought, and a commitment to an inclusive culture that engages in our global communities.
We aim to deliver to our investment professionals accurate information, on time, every time that enable them to make decisions in an increasingly complex world. We provide trade execution capabilities, research data, analytics calculations, concise reports across a diverse array of financial investments that enable us to invest wisely and explain concisely to our clients what risk/reward decisions are being made.
What does Core Engineering do?
We provide the building blocks, platforms and self-service tools that enable high availability, operationally resilient and scalable application to be built to enable our business to deliver value to our clients. Quite simply, we make it easier for other people to operate. As part of this team, you will join a talented group of technology professionals who enjoy taking on challenges, such as:
- Solving the complexity around building horizontally scalable services.
- Ensuring our cloud deployments are secure and robust
- Establishing best practices for our cloud foundation
- Automating everything
- Making it easy to ingest, store and analyze financial data.
What do you need to know?
We are growing our new Tech Hub in Austin to create the next generation of engineering practices and infrastructure to support our developers and business partners into the next decades. You need to know (or want to learn) AWS inside and out. Automation experience with tools like Terraform, CloudFormation, Puppet, Ansible, and Chef are useful skills too. We believe the cloud is an enabler - not a magic bullet. We have existing infrastructure that will be enhanced by adopting cloud technologies to accelerate innovation and optimize cost. Knowing how to rack servers and run cable is valued as well as experience deploying and operating Spark or Hadoop at scale.
Above all, empathy and collaboration are needed. You will be working, consulting, and helping across many teams an enabler with an opportunity to make a large impact.
What your manager will do for you:
- Find opportunities for you to grow
- Remove roadblocks and protect you from unnecessary distractions
- Create a continuous learning environment
- Surround you with a high performing team
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with public cloud technologies - Amazon Web Services, OpenStack, Google Cloud Platform or Microsoft Azure
- Passion for automation and experience with tools such as Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins, Puppet, and Chef.
- Understanding of infrastructure fundamentals such as Unix, SSH, Kerberos, and ADFS
- Hands on experience working with Cloud Foundry and Kubernetes infrastructure
- Experience securing and operating cloud infrastructure in an enterprise environment
- Experience building data warehouses, including data warehouse technical architectures, infrastructure components, ETL and reporting/analytic tools and environments.
- Experience migrating existing workloads to cloud.
- Experience with financial market analysis software like Beacon
- Experience working with big data, information retrieval, data mining or machine learning as well as experience in building multi-tier high availability applications with modern web technologies (such as Cassandra, Spark, Hadoop, Kafka).
- PIMCO is committed to offering a comprehensive portfolio of employee benefits designed to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family. These benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage from your first day of employment.
- 401k Savings and Retirement Plan.
- Work/Life Programs such as Flexible Work Arrangements, Parental Leave & Support, Employee Assistance Plan, and Educational/CFA Certification Reimbursement Programs.
- Community involvement opportunities with The PIMCO Foundation in each PIMCO office.