We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated Platform Architect to join Charles Schwab's Application and Platform Architecture team. The role will be responsible for crafting Schwab’s technology strategy and helping define the future-state technology platform and capabilities that will enable innovation and accelerated product delivery across the firm. You'll work closely with business, product, and technology partners to translate results-oriented business and technology vision and requirements into a private and public cloud platform foundation that fuel solution development at Schwab for years to come.
The right individual will be a proactive, self-starter that enjoys and thrives when connecting people and technology to solve sophisticated problems at-scale. You love researching industry trends and remaining current on emerging technology. You have a knack for recommending which technologies and vendor products should be brought into the portfolio to solve relevant business and delivery problems. You will analyze, model, and develop complex and high-level architecture plans that require the integration of multiple technologies and coordination of functional areas across the organization. If you have a passion and skill for long-term end-to-end thinking balanced with working directly with delivery teams to craft increments that enable value for customers now, this position is for you!
The Platform Architecture team is responsible for providing architecture services to high priority initiatives. We are an organization that values diverse and big thinking, rewards both behaviors and delivery, and focuses on growth and continuous improvement – all in support of Schwab’s mission to help clients and one another succeed. This role is an outstanding opportunity to join a team and company at the beginning of a multi-year platform transformation whose work will have direct impact on company direction, our customers, and our industry.
What youre good at
- Performing gap analysis to highlight gaps in the technology stack and its private and public cloud platform capabilities.
- Learning through engagement with internal and external domain specialists. Applying those findings in the form of evaluation and recommendation of technology solutions for the technology and business teams.
- Building comprehensive technology strategy documentation, including use-case elaboration, product evaluation, POC execution, operational requirements, deployment architecture, investment concepts, logical and conceptual architecture, and other architecture artifacts.
- Collaborating with relevant delivery teams, including infrastructure, operations, site reliability engineering, product development, and others to perform evaluations, POC’s, and ultimately implement and govern new technology.
- Contributing to and promoting the firm’s technology strategy and act as a SME for consultation, adoption, usage patterns, and architecture.
- Participating in roadshows and other forums to explain and socialize the usage patterns for the enterprise patterns.
- Crafting the content that describes how to implement, integrate, and operate new and existing technology in the firm, including developing guidance, patterns, reference architecture, development handbooks, and other material that enable teams to thrive.
- Designing for both functional and non-functional qualities, including availability, resiliency, security, privacy, etc.
- Mentoring and growing other technologists within the firm
- Presenting architecture and innovative ideas to executive leadership for the purposes of alignment and key decision makingConnecting your business and technical insights to develop innovative proposals for evolving Schwab’s platforms, introducing new products or capabilities, or improving processes that benefit the firm or its customers.
What you have
- Ability to own architecture and influence strategic direction and vision for the future.
- Desire and ability to understand diverse business domains and develop architectures that meet the current and anticipated business needs across a broad set of partners.
- Ability to evaluate new technologies and know the latest industry trends.
- Good judgment and the ability to handle high pressure situations.
- Experience with and knowledge of common Architecture patterns (e.g. microservices, GoF, SOA, Event sourcing, etc.).
- Experience addressing operational and non-functional concerns (e.g. horizontal & vertical scalability, performance, maintainability, load distribution, resilience, recovery, security, privacy, etc.).
- Experience with Cloud Native (12-Factor) Architecture and Infrastructure Patterns.
- Knowledge of the enterprise technology space: languages, frameworks, techniques, and industry trends.
- Ability (and preference) to work in an Agile environment.
- Ability to devise, develop and apply innovative technology to solutions that would benefit our clients.
- Refined presentation and interpersonal skills and experience interfacing and communicating effectively with both engineers and executives.
- A strong software engineering and/or architecture background is required.