Management Director, Registration,Services
The Compliance Department coordinates Charles Schwab's compliance efforts, and we perform an advisory, monitoring, testing, and education role to support management's supervisory responsibility and its efforts to achieve compliance with the financial services industry rules and regulations, and policies of Schwab.
Schwab's business model has evolved to include multiple regulated entities, including multiple broker-dealers, investment advisors, a bank and an NFA introducing broker and futures commission merchant, and an independent contractor model. The registration and representative/firm disclosure and reporting obligations have become significantly more challenging and complex!
As the Managing Director, Compliance Registration Services, you will have full oversight of leading and developing a compliance team responsible facilitating, obtaining and maintaining the securities, investment advisory and other licenses and registrations for several of the Schwab's subsidiaries, subsidiary’s offices and their employees/registrants.
What youre good at
- Lead the Registration Department and the services provided to CS&Co., Inc., Schwab Bank, and The Charles Schwab Corporation investment advisor subsidiaries.
- Design and lead Schwab's effort for an outstanding registration program encompassing disclosure and reporting requirements and systems.
- Facilitate, obtain and maintain the securities, investment advisory and other licenses and registrations for these entities, their branch offices and employees/registrants.
- Coordinate firm-wide responsibility for certain disclosures (registrant and firm) and certain regulatory reporting (employee, associated person and firm).
- Define the program to address new regulatory rules implicating registration and disclosure/reporting obligations have been adopted [e.g. SAFE Act, SEC Form ADV Part 2B (a.k.a. the brochure supplement), etc.] and existing rules and regulation have been interpreted more expansively (e.g. FINRA Rule 4530, FINRA Regulatory Notice on Form U5 disclosure responsibilities, etc.).
- Serve as the primary contact with the Regulators on increasingly complex inquiries on registration or disclosure matters.
- Lead the transformation efforts of robust, best-in-class internal registration and disclosure/reporting technology and systems to address the changing business and regulatory environment, improve controls and mitigate registration and disclosure risk to the firms and their registrants.
- Partner with senior leadership across all enterprises (business, Human Resources and technology) to provide education on the applicability of registration and licensing requirements, necessary associated controls, regulatory risks, and respond to regulatory requests for information.
- Represent and advocate for Schwab by actively participating on relevant regulatory and industry committees and working groups.
- Provide specific and actionable advice and guidance on registration requirements and the development of procedures and systems to address the requirements and mitigate risk associated registration, disclosure and reporting requirements.
What you have
- 15+ years in a compliance leadership role with specific experience in defining and leading a registration program in a broker dealer firm.
- Significant expertise and knowledge in the applicable rules, regulations and systems necessary to navigate this increasingly complex licensing, registration and reporting environment.
- Demonstrate outstanding judgment grounded in the rules and regulations governing licensing, registrations, disclosures and regulatory reporting as well as deep knowledge of potential implications of actions and decisions.
- Experience running a significant budget and hiring plan with material enterprise-wide business impact maximizing the investment.
- Shown success at leading high-performing teams of compliance professionals by setting strategic and tactical goals and developing criteria for measuring success achieving them.
- Deep understanding of the regulatory environment for registration departments rules and regulations applicable to broker-dealers, banks, asset managers, mutual funds and mutual fund distributers.
- The ability to articulate the totality of the impact of a proposed solution, and success at implementing what’s best for the company overall.
- Success at building high performing, diverse, cross-functional work teams rallied around the strategy. Experienced in effectively assessing, selecting and developing talent for the firm adept at providing balanced, direct and actionable feedback to employees. Experience managing multiple priorities and overseeing distinct teams with varied strengths.
- Experience working collaboratively with various groups with potentially disparate objectives.
- Demonstrate strategic and analytical capabilities to make sound, informed, and timely decisions based on client and technology input. Support and maintain a strong, compliant program including evaluating risk versus the client experience, and provide response to both the critical regulatory environment and the day-to-day business issues. You are results-oriented, and able to quickly sort through information and develop concise and clear strategies and solutions.
- You have outstanding written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to communicate effectively with all levels of an organization including Executive Leadership.
- You have strong emotional intelligence and maturity and thrive on initiating, building and encouraging strong authentic relationships inside and outside the group!
- BS/BA degree or equivalent work experience.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. (Please click here to see policy.)
Schwab is also an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace.
We believe diversity and inclusion are part of our success as a company and our purpose of serving every client with passion and integrity.