Principal Data Analyst
- Smithfield, RI, USA Smithfield RI US
- Permanent, Full time
- Fidelity Investments
- 20 Mar 18 2018-03-20
Principal Data Analyst
Provides data analysis leadership on complex systems analysis projects, often across subsystems and companies, in a matrix organization. Gathers data requirements and translates those requirements into business solutions which ensure integrated, accurate data within the organization. Specific deliverables include design documentation, logical and physical data models, data strategies, standards and procedures and data definition language (DDL).
Primary Responsibilities :
- Works on multiple projects simultaneously. For each project engagement, works with project groups to estimate the Data Analyst component(s) of the project via sizing sessions, and gathers and documents all data and meta-data requirements, creates the Conceptual, logical and physical data models (using Power Designer), and works with the physical DBA team to complete and generate the physical implementation database in test environments.
- Gathers requirements from business and technical staff to analyze data requirements and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Presents solutions to project teams, Data Engineering team, and architecture review boards.
- Integrates data into existing enterprise logical model and physical data stores to avoid data redundancy.
- Ensures all technical database decisions result in coherent system designs which use the most effective methods and tools.
- Uses modeling tool to capture clear definitions of data elements and produce code to effect database changes.
- Implements data solutions to satisfy business requirements.
- Performs research into emerging technologies, defines data solution standards and guidelines, and drives technical approaches at a tactical level, serving as the data engineering member on FI and cross-Fidelity systems projects.
- Acts as mentor and provides guidance and leadership to junior members of team.
- Performs advanced data warehousing - including Dimensional Modeling/OLTP Database administration.
- Writes and maintains business rules, logic, and SQL queries.
Education and Experience :
Bachelor's degree (or foreign education equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, Mathematics, Physics, or a closely related field and five (5) years of experience in the job offered or five (5) years of experience performing relational and dimensional data modeling and analysis of datasets for financial services .
Or, alternatively, Master's degree (or foreign education equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, Mathematics, Physics, or a closely related field and three (3) years of experience in the job offered or three (3) years of experience performing relational and dimensional data modeling and analysis of datasets for financial services .
Skills and Knowledge :
Candidate must also possess:
- Demonstrated Expertise ("DE") performing relational and dimensional data modeling and analysis of datasets for financial services, analyzing datasets to create data models for reporting and analytics applications; and providing Business Intelligence (BI) support of the delivery of project requirements within a DB2 environment.
- DE in big data reporting and analytics of structured and unstructured data within a Hadoop environment, including writing SQL queries and scripts to extract data from large data sets within a relational database environment, including mainframe environment and databases -- Oracle, SQL server, and DB2.
- DE liaising with business partners to define business rules to create technical logic for data aggregation of cost basis, money movement, and cashiering data within a brokerage environment; and analyzing brokerage data, including taxation methods and reporting, cost basis and profit and loss methods, trade execution methodology, performance attribution, asset allocation, portfolio analysis, and KPI calculation methods.
- DE translating business and systems requirements into complex reports for institutional brokerage customers.