Workplace Design & Planning Manager
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 21 Apr 19
Workplace Design & Planning Manager
Morgan Stanley Corporate Services (CS) manages the Firm's 19MM square foot portfolio to strategically align real estate assets with the Firm's business and organizational objectives. Corporate Services Real Estate group is comprised of; Portfolio Management, Project Management, Engineering, Employee and Guest Services, Property Management and Real Estate and Location Strategy.
The Real Estate and Location Strategy group includes the following service lines; Workplace Design & Planning, Portfolio Strategy & Performance, Workforce and Location Intelligence and, Data, Business Intelligence & Analytics.
The Real Estate and Location Strategy's Workplace Design & Planning team is looking for a senior level professional with relevant experience to provide oversight for the planning, design and workplace consulting workstreams for the Metro NYC headquarters modernization project.
Morgan Stanley is prepared to start a multi-year plan to modernize its headquarters campus. Within the New York City Metro Headquarters campus, there are (7) buildings with approximately 5MM SF that are occupied by approximately 20,000 employees across a wide range of business units. The project goals are to right size the real estate footprint, reduce vacancy, improve utilization, optimize business unit collocation and adjacencies and improve the employee and client experience.
Morgan Stanley's New York Metro Revitalization Program represents the Firm's commitment to New York City as its global headquarters location. The Program will deliver a world class sustainable headquarters experience for our clients, employees, stakeholders and shareholders.
The Workplace Design & Planning team agenda is to:
· Deliver a consistent and holistic Workplace & Design Program which provides clear governance and policy, process and methodology, design standards and guidelines, and employee and client experience.
· C reate a work environment that helps attract and retain top talent, supports wellbeing of staff, optimizes our real estate and delivers value for investment.
· Implement Workplace Evolution: Morgan Stanley's alternative workplace solution for key upcoming projects across the portfolio includes an activity based work environment that supports a non-assigned seat sharing model of 1:1.2. These environments will seek to reduce/ eliminate vacancy, and reflect best practice space allocation for collaborative, amenity and support spaces.
Act as a key member of the HQ Program Delivery Team to;
· Manage and provide oversight on all workplace, planning, programming and design workstreams. Manage relevant architecture/ design/ workplace consultants for the duration of the project.
· Leverage existing Workplace Guidelines, governance, policies, planning metrics, principles, best practices and lessons learned to provide appropriate implementation strategies and solutions for the project.
· Assist with all aspects of program delivery including scope development, business unit engagement, project management support, change management and communications.
· Support coordination of stakeholder approvals throughout the project process.
· Leverage other Workplace Design & Planning team members for additional support and subject matter expertise as required.
· Partner with Sourcing teams to assist with procurement of A&D, Workplace, FF&E, etc… services in collaboration with Project Management.
· Maintain an active awareness and understanding of global workplace trends, innovations and opportunities.
Skills and Competencies
· Requires project management capabilities with experience in the end to end project execution process for major commercial interior design fit out projects. Key skills include occupancy and space planning, workplace strategy experience, design quality control/assurance reviews, technical expertise around construction practices, materials life cycle knowledge, and FF&E specification experience.
· Experience in review of design intent 2D and 3D medium, e.g. sketches, elevations, sections and perspectives.
· Understanding of current workplace planning theories. Advanced knowledge of design, trends, construction methodology, materials application and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
· Proven organizational skills, ability to prioritize in order to meet deadlines and provide high quality service to clients.
· A flexible approach with the ability to adapt to changing conditions and priorities and to work in a collaborative team environment.
· Awareness of linkage between design, real estate planning & financial results, and with ability to tailor strategic direction to address financial challenges.
· Distills complex information to the essential for client decision-making. Capable of participating in discussions with internal clients on design and space use concepts
· Interpersonal skills with the ability to present to and communicate with demanding clients within the Business Units, managing expectations throughout the design and delivery process.
· Computer skills in Microsoft platforms. Basic AutoCAD skills.
· Travel is not required.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor or Master's degree in architecture, interior design / planning and workplace strategy.
· 8 - 10 years relevant space planning, design and project management in Corporate/Financial Services industry.
· NCARB, NDIDQ, LEED AP, WELL Accreditation are advantageous