Workplace Design Manager
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 24 May 19
Workplace Design Manager
The Real Estate and Location Strategy's Workplace Design & Planning team is looking for a professional with relevant experience to provide oversight for the planning, design and workplace consulting workstreams for the North Americas portfolio.
The Workplace Design & Planning team agenda is to:
• Deliver a consistent and holistic Workplace & Design Program which provides clear governance and policy, process and methodology, design standards and guidelines, and employee and client experience.
• Create a work environment that helps attract and retain top talent, supports wellbeing of staff, optimizes our real estate and delivers value for investment.
• Implement Workplace Evolution: Morgan Stanley's alternative workplace solution for key upcoming projects across the portfolio includes an activity based work environment that supports a non-assigned seat sharing model of 1:1.2. These environments will seek to reduce/ eliminate vacancy, and reflect best practice space allocation for collaborative, amenity and support spaces.
• Collaborate with global workplace and design teams, leveraging internal and partner resources across our regions to develop and maintain policies and guidelines for workplace design.
• Assist with the development of a workplace delivery model from a regional project-based approach to a consistent and integrated global, business as usual approach.
• Assist with sourcing opportunities through the global procurement of design services, furniture, fixtures and finishes in collaboration with Project Management/ Procurement.
• Maintain an active awareness and understanding of global workplace trends, innovations and opportunities.
Workplace Guidelines Implementation:
• Support regional portfolio strategy scenario planning, and project team in implementing planning concepts, Workplace Design Standards and workplace policies.
• Support MS's project management team throughout the project delivery process from workplace design aspects, to completion, ensuring all new-built or renovation works follow the Firm's approved design standards.
• Support MS's procurement process to identify framework agreements and performance reviews for contracted consulting teams and vendors. Monitor performance to ensure quality delivery through regular review process.
• Support MS workplace resource team on all workplace and design issues. Provide regular on-going design related deliverables and support change management activities.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor or Master's degree in architecture, interior design / planning and workplace strategy.
• 8 - 10 years relevant space planning, design and project management in Corporate/Financial Services industry.
• NCARB, NDIDQ, LEED AP, Well Certification are advantageous
• Experience working in a Corporate Financial Services Company
• Experience with setting up design guidelines and protocol for Corporate offices is advantageous
Skills and Competencies (Knowledge, skills, and abilities to qualify for position)
• Requires project management capabilities with experience in the end to end project execution process for major commercial interior design fit out projects. Key skills include occupancy and space planning, quality control/assurance reviews, technical expertise around construction practices, materials life cycle knowledge, and FF&E specification experience.
• Experience in review of design intent 2D and 3D medium, e.g. sketches, elevations, sections and perspectives.
• Understanding of current workplace planning theories. Advanced knowledge of design, trends, construction methodology, materials application and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
• Proven organizational skills, ability to prioritize in order to meet deadlines and provide high quality service to clients.
• A flexible approach with the ability to adapt to changing conditions and priorities and to work in a collaborative team environment.
• Awareness of linkage between design, real estate planning & financial results, and with ability to tailor strategic direction to address financial challenges.
• Distills complex information to the essential for client decision-making. Capable of participating in discussions with internal clients on design and space use concepts
• Interpersonal skills with the ability to present to and communicate with demanding clients within the Business Units, managing expectations throughout the design and delivery process.
• Computer skills in Microsoft platforms. Basic AutoCAD skills.
• Moderate travel may be required as this is a regional role.