Wealth Management Global Investment Office - Investment Strategist - Analyst/Associate
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career-a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Wealth Management's Global Investment Office produces macro-to-micro research and analysis to help Advisors build their practices and manage their clients' portfolios.
• Provide direction on investment strategy
• Publish market related commentary, including investment themes, actionable ideas, and "white papers"
• Design and monitor asset allocation models and single security model portfolios / baskets
• Perform asset manager due diligence on traditional and alternative funds
• Provide research coverage on Municipals, ETFs, CEFs, and Technical Research
• Partner with Advisors to understand investments and help them manage relationships with clients and close business with prospects
• Manage field initiatives including road shows, conference calls, and summits
The Portfolio Analytics and Cross-Asset Strategy (PACS) team within Morgan Stanley's Global Investment Office (GIO) develops and applies disciplined, systematic approaches to construct portfolios. Using evidence-driven frameworks and other quantitative methods to analyze opportunities and recommend tactical exposures, the team supports the Global Investment Committee (GIC) and Financial Advisors across the investment process: strategic, tactical and dynamic asset allocation; active-passive decisions; manager selection; and portfolio construction and risk management. As a cross-asset investment strategist, responsibilities require the ability to analyze and simplify investment ideas and market movements in order to provide portfolio strategy for Financial Advisors to follow and share with clients.
This role will focus on assisting Financial Advisors with their discretionary portfolio construction. The team has developed a series of quantitative frameworks to study portfolios' fundamental drivers and their likelihood of delivering attractive risk-adjusted returns in various macroeconomic and market environments. The role will leverage these frameworks on Financial Advisors' behalf, recommending high-quality portfolios that may be scalable ideally across multiple clients. The strategy advice covers each step in the investment process: asset allocation, active-passive decisions, manager selection, and portfolio construction and risk management. It will include exposure to a wide variety of asset classes, investment products, Advisors, and clients. The role will allow for frequent interaction with Financial Advisors and some client interaction to review findings and recommendations. The candidate will have opportunity to contribute with the PACS team's other publications and research initiatives, including developing new frameworks and strengthening existing ones.
The team seeks an analytical and solutions-oriented individual with an interest in multi-asset strategy, including equities, fixed income, derivatives and FX, to be a key contributor on the team. The role requires a passion for understanding financial markets and their key fundamental and technical drivers and a high degree of technical competence and writing ability. Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree
• Up to five years of experience analyzing financial markets
• Buy-side or sell-side experience is a plus
• Series 7 and 66 preferred, with expectation to obtain within three months of start date
• Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm for a culture of ownership
• Passion for gaining understanding of financial markets and their key drivers
• Thrives in a collaborative environment and exhibits strong interpersonal skills
• Solid organizational skills and ability to work across multiple functions
• Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills with strong business judgment
• Able to work under pressure
• Intellectually curious
• Demonstrated interest in multi-asset strategy, including equities, fixed income, commodities, and FX
• Experience with market data research systems (e.g., Bloomberg, FactSet, and Morningstar)
• Strong technical skills, including Advanced Excel modeling and PowerPoint skills; experience with Matlab, SAS, Dataiku, or Python is a plus