Vice President, Recovery and Resolution Planning
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 19 Oct 18
Vice President, Recovery and Resolution Planning
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Professionals within Legal and Compliance (LCD) provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse an investor dispute. They preserve the firm's invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the firm's businesses.
Background on the Team:
The Firm's Recovery and Resolution Planning Team (the "Firm RRP Team") is in the Legal and Compliance Department, led by the Head of Recovery and Resolution Planning and reports to the Global Head of Regulatory Affairs. The Firm RRP Team's primary responsibilities include the:
- Development and maintenance of the Firm's recovery plans to maintain adequate levels of capital and liquidity and business model viability even in the face of extreme stress (resiliency);
- Development and maintenance of the Firm's resolution strategies to wind down in a rapid and orderly manner during bankruptcy without causing any systemic impacts domestically or internationally (resolvability);
- Confirmation that the Firm is maintaining adequate capabilities, processes and policies to ensure the Firm's continued resiliency and resolvability through time;
- Remediation of impediments to the execution of the Firm's recovery plans or resolution strategies; and
- Engagement with domestic and international regulators, including the Federal Reserve, FDIC, OCC, PRA and Japan FSA, on all things RRP.
The Firm RRP Team works closely with numerous business unit and support functions throughout the Firm and leads the Firm's efforts in responding to all RRP-related regulatory requirements and inquiries. A qualified individual joining the team will have a unique opportunity to liaise with numerous senior stakeholders within LCD and other divisions throughout the Firm.
The Firm RRP Team is seeking to hire a qualified individual at the level of Vice President with a business unit, finance, risk or operations background within financial services. This individual will be an integral part of the Firm RRP Team, report to an Executive Director on the team and have a diversity of responsibilities that include:
- Developing a comprehensive derivatives and trading booking model framework for the Firm's institutional securities businesses, including principles, management information, governance and controls;
- Maintaining the legal entity rationalization criteria to ensure the Firm's legal entity structure remains rationale, resilient and resolvable and engaging with the Finance division's legal entity governance office and committees on the same;
- Facilitating and leading various resolution shortcoming remediation efforts, including changes to the Firm's funding vehicles and structures and various legal entity mergers and restructurings;
- Liaising with Corporate Treasury, Risk, Finance, business units and other divisions on recovery and resolution financial modeling, derivatives and trading wind downs and related quantitative analysis and assisting in documentation of the same for inclusion in recovery and resolution plans; and
- Managing the production of the Firm's recovery plan, including the menu of recovery actions and capital and liquidity scenario analysis, in partnership with key stakeholders within Corporate Treasury, Risk, Finance and business units.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Bachelor's degree;
- Ability to understand regulations, risk management and financial analysis (e.g., balance sheet dynamics);
- Relevant financial industry experience;
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively to solve complex problems;
- Ability to present to senior management, regulators and other key internal and external stakeholders;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel; and
- Ability to provide strong attention to detail.