Vice President, Fixed Income Compliance
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 15 Oct 18
Vice President, Fixed Income Compliance
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Professionals within Legal and Compliance provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse an investor dispute. They preserve the firm's invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the firm's businesses.
Background on the Position
Morgan Stanley Investment Management seeks an experienced compliance professional to join the Investment Management Compliance Department with a primary focus on leading the fixed income and liquidity advisory services and monitoring of the respective investment teams.
Morgan Stanley Investment Management, together with its investment advisory affiliates, has more than 580 investment professionals around the world and $482 billion in assets under management or supervision as of December 31, 2017. The Compliance Department is seeking an experienced individual to assist in enhancing an appropriate compliance program for all affiliated trading and monitoring functions to support the business in complying with applicable securities laws and regulations, and to assist the broader mission of the Department to foster adherence to the Firm's Policies and Procedures.
• Lead the Fixed Income, Liquidity and Money Market Advisory Compliance program. This person will provide compliance guidance to fixed income investment professionals and traders with respect to client guidelines and regulatory requirements imposed by US and foreign financial authorities.
• Assist in the drafting and implementation of policies to address the oversight of the first line of defense including but not limited to conflicts of interest, interpretation of client guidelines and applicable regulations;
• Participate in routine client, sub-advisory and vendor due diligence meetings with a focus on creating a direct line of communication to enhance the compliance partnership between Morgan Stanley and client firms;
• Liaise with Testing Group to design fixed income business test plan for the year and participate in the quarterly compliance tests (e.g. trade allocation, side letters, and the Custody Rule, etc.)
• Participate in review and approval of New Instruments and New Products for individual fixed income and liquidity investment teams
• Analyze accounts for control purposes under Bank Holding Company Act and monitor investments in financial companies
• Periodically oversee the manual monitoring processes for fixed income accounts that cannot be systematically coded into the compliance system
• Review documentation of the internal operating procedures for all aspects of the fixed income and liquidity monitoring function
• Keep abreast of new regulations and communicate such updates to affected business areas to ensure that the firm has appropriate controls in place
• Work closely with various internal and external parties including IT, Operations, the Legal Department, the Investment Teams and external regulators
Skills required (essential)
•BA/BS required; Graduate Degree; CFA preferred;
•10 plus years applicable experience in fixed income compliance or a related field;
•Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
•Extensive knowledge of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Investment Company Act of 1940, other securities laws and applicable regulation;
•Working knowledge of relevant ERISA and UCIT regulation;
•Detail oriented with ability to multi-task, effectively prioritize responsibilities and produce results;
•Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills; ability to generate creative alternatives to identified issues;
•Strong technology skills;
•Strong relationship building skills; ability to develop and foster trust-based relationships with the various business lines supported; ability to influence at all levels without direct authority; and
•Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information