Vice President-Senior Vice President, Legal & Regulatory Job Spec
Vice President / Senior Vice President Brookfield Asset Management Legal & Regulatory Group Brookfield Asset Management (BAM)
is seeking a Vice President / Senior Vice President to join its Legal & Regulatory Group. The position will be responsible for:
- coordinating and facilitating implementation of BAM's Asset Management Regulatory Compliance Program within Brookfield Property Group (BPG), which manages private real estate funds and related investment vehicles (Client Accounts); and
- assisting in the design and development of the Asset Management Regulatory Compliance Program through adoption (and updating) of protocols designed to ensure compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, based on BPG's business activities.
BAM is a global alternative asset manager with over $500 billion in assets under management and a 120-year heritage as owner and operator of long-life, high-quality assets and businesses in countries around the world.
BPG, through its Client Accounts, owns and operates a portfolio of iconic properties located in the world's dynamic markets, with a focus on acquiring high-quality assets on a value basis and driving investment performance through active operational improvements. BPG's global portfolio includes office, retail, multifamily, logistics, hospitality, self-storage, triple net lease, manufactured housing and student housing assets across five continents. About the Position:
Based in New York City, the position offers an excellent opportunity in a dynamic environment for an individual with a "hands-on" approach to become an integral part of BAM's Legal & Regulatory Group. To qualify, candidates must:
- be a licensed attorney in good standing in the United States, with 7-10 years of relevant legal experience
- possess knowledge of laws, rules and regulations applicable to investment advisors and private funds
- be well organized, thoughtful, attentive to detail, analytical, self-motivated, and solutions-oriented
- have strong written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to foster relationships with different constituencies
- be comfortable working independently, as well as part of a team
Candidates with asset management legal & regulatory experience, including in-house experience at a global asset management firm that manages private funds and related investment vehicles will be preferred. However, relevant experience at a major US or international law firm or financial institution will also be considered.
The position will have a dual report to BPG's General Counsel and BAM's Chief Compliance Officer, and will work closely with various BPG constituencies, including legal, finance and operations, risk, and marketing groups.
The position will be responsible for and focus on the following:
- Coordination and facilitation of implementation of the Asset Management Regulatory Compliance Program within BPG, including:
- Facilitation of business activities to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and internal protocols, including appropriate resolution of potential conflicts of interest and other fiduciary matters
- coordination and facilitation of regulatory monitoring activities focused on business and employee activities
- administering employee training and awareness communications
- coordination and facilitation of regulatory reporting and filing requirements
- Facilitation of the continued design and evolution of the Asset Management Regulatory Compliance Program in response to business activities, needs and developments
- Monitoring of regulatory developments, proactively assessing potential implications thereof and facilitating development of necessary protocols to address such developments
- Pro-active participation in BPG and BAM legal & regulatory discussions and activities with a focus on ensuring that activities are carried out in accordance with internal protocols and regulatory requirements
- Assist in maintaining required books and records
- Assist in maintaining a strong regulatory compliance culture within BPG
- Become an integral part of BPG's and BAM's Legal & Regulatory Groups by working in a thoughtful, proactive and professional manner
- Facilitation of cooperation with and response to governmental and regulatory inquiries and examinations