VP Strategic Transcations (Legal)
- Base salary, bonus and excellent benefits
- New York, NY, USA New York NY US
- Permanent, Full time
- The Forum Group
- 19 Apr 18 2018-04-19
Our client, a globally recognized investment bank is seeking a 3-5 year Associate coming from a top ten law firm to join its rapidly expanding Strategic Transactions Group. The group's objective is to utilize its execution and transaction-management capabilities in support of appropriate tax and associated capital management for the group in the US. The group has a mandate to execute cross-border and third party facing transactions involving tax risk. The group delivers value by complementing Tax’s mandate for effective tax rate management, consistent with capital and return on equity targets.
The candidate would be part of a team of high performing professionals as part of the STG US product development team whose primary responsibility is to develop and restructure complex and challenging transactions comprising the US STG business and assist with the documentation and closing thereof.
It is expected that the product development team would work on the ongoing development of trades from a tax, accounting and regulatory capital perspective, covering areas from structural reform and internal restructurings to client activity.
Each team member must possess in depth knowledge of US tax, strong skills in accounting and regulatory requirements, the intellectual flexibility to quickly retool in a time of rapid change, a data-driven approach to problem solving, and strong communication skills.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
• Develop and maintain operational relationships with third party clients related to executed transactions. Able to clearly communicate with clients
• Build working relationships with structuring teams in Luxembourg and UK for the execution of transactions
• Is experienced and confident in interactions with departments (Tax, Treasury, Legal, TAG, etc.) within the Bank
• Reputation as a reliable and thorough team member, able to draw on strong negotiation skills in complex situations; seen as a go-to person for the team
• Strong understanding of processes and the ability to effectively manage and responsibly delegate activity to junior members of the team
• Utilises cross-firm network and authoritative understanding to create strong relationships with other teams
• Take on responsibility for mentoring junior members of the desk, sharing the technical knowledge required to progress in the team, and providing a sounding board for any issues and concerns they may have
• Be a role model for junior team members
• Participates actively in the firm’s citizenship programme, taking into account the needs of all our stakeholders and making decisions which, in the short and long-term, are positive for our customers and clients, shareholders, colleagues and the communities in which we operate.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
• Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of STG transactions and how these and the STG team interact with other teams/departments and strategies to achieve sustainable returns for the firm
• Demonstrates good understanding of technical tax, accounting and regulatory matters and able to apply this knowledge to the transaction execution process
• Interpret, and take responsibility for short term as well as long term transactions management and maintain responsible risk management facility
• Understands the factors that influence the risk positions and able to communicate these to senior team members
• Has authority to make a number of business decisions for own area in order to contribute directly to projects. Provides guidance and direction to other colleagues as part of this process
• Experienced with executing in complex and challenging conditions, to ensure thorough coverage of various areas (tax, accounting, modeling, regulatory requirements)
• Provide support to transaction lead, but also able to lead calls/meetings with clients and advisors when required
• Undergraduate Degree (in a Quantitative discipline: Math, Engineering, and Economics).
• Juris Doctorate
• 3+ years relevant working experience in US tax-technical capacity in a transactional, structured finance team, within an investment bank, law firm or similar organization
• CFA / ACA/ ACCA or equivalent accreditation or experience
• Strong US Tax technical skills
• Accounting proficiency strongly preferred
• Experience managing / reviewing legal documentation process