VP/Director, Alternative Investments Risk Manager (New York, NY)
Description About this role The role is based onsite in our New York office. Business Overview
The Risk & Quantitative Analysis (RQA) group provides independent oversight of BlackRock's fiduciary and enterprise risks. RQA's principal objectives are to advance the firm's risk management practices and to deliver independent risk expertise and constructive challenge to drive better business and investment outcomes. RQA's risk managers play a meaningful role in BlackRock's investment process, using quantitative analysis and a multi-disciplinary skillset to tackle real-world problems and provide tangible solutions in the investment management process.
RQA is committed to investing in our people to increase individual enablement and ultimately build a stronger team. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion which encourages collaboration, innovation, diversity and the development our future leaders. We actively engage in discussions on career growth and work with team members to understand how personal passions and strength connect with our purpose. Alternative Investment Risk Management
The BlackRock Alternative Investors ("BAI") Investment teams manage over $300 billion in Alternative assets in portfolios spanning Private Credit, Private Equity, Real Estate, Infrastructure, and Hedge Funds. You will partner with BAI to deliver independent risk oversight, risk advice, and provide quantitative analysis to assist with portfolio construction and performance measurement of private assets (equity and debt) held across our public funds' platform. The role is based onsite in our New York office. Key Responsibilities:
- Take a lead role in daily risk management and oversight of private assets held in public funds, ensuring risks are fully understood by RQA, portfolio managers and key stakeholders
- Ensure risk taking is consistent with client objectives by understanding portfolio construction, risk attribution and designing appropriate stress/scenario analyses
- Communicate effectively and provide constructive challenge to decision makers to influence portfolio construction, promote rigorous governance and drive better investment committee decisions
- Create state of the art risk tools for day-to-day risk management and lead longer-term strategic projects to enhance risk and portfolio management processes
- Work collaboratively with peers and help develop junior risk managers to grow their careers
- Degree in finance or economics; Master's level degree and/or CFA preferred
- Breadth of knowledge and experience in alternative investments risk management supporting private equity or private debt portfolios
- 6+ years of previous work experience in the financial services industry
- Strong written/oral communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships across all areas of the business
- Experience programming in coding financial models in Python or R preferred
- Highly organized, ability to proactively respond under tight deadlines
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.