Job Opening 168316, Trade Execution Officer, P-3
United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund – Office of Investment Management
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Secretary-General is responsible for the investment of the assets of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). The Secretary-General has delegated this responsibility to the Representative of the Secretary-General for the investment of the assets of the UNJSPF (RSG). The RSG is, in turn, assisted in this function by the Office of Investment Management (OIM). OIM manages a $86+ billion multi-asset class, global investment portfolio, about 85% of which is actively managed in-house. Asset classes under management comprise of global equities, fixed income, foreign exchange, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, timber and commodities. OIM’s staff are all based in New York and come from over 30 countries. For more information please visit OIM's website at https://oim.unjspf.org/.
This position is located in the Trade Execution Team of OIM. The incumbent reports to the Trade Execution Officer, P4.
Under the overall supervision of the Trade Execution Officer, P4 the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Provide "best execution" across a range of global equity markets by safely, timely, and effectively executing trades for OIM.
2. Execute securities buys and sells authorized by Senior Investment Officers
3. Manage orders and trade flow in a logical risk-controlled manner with a high sensitivity to fiduciary responsibilities
4. Support Investment teams by providing market intelligence and insight, technical analysis, macro strategy, trade ideas, data requests
5. Contribute proactively to the investment process to both reduce transaction costs and identify alpha opportunities in global equity markets
6. Identify potential trading strategies and offer new ideas to improve existing strategies
7. Analyze market conditions, social and economic data and financial information
8. Evaluate financial risk, make trading decisions, and prepare reports
9. Maintain a thorough understanding of and be able to explain equity market terms and trading practices
10. Leverage relationships with broker-dealers and related parties
11. Contribute to a strategic vision of OIM to maximize value by lowering transactions costs associated with trading equity securities
12. Contribute to the "team" concept of the Trading Desk. This includes partnering with Portfolio Managers and Investment Analysts to help them achieve investment objectives, contributing to the free flow of market and security information on the Trading Desk
13. Cross-train with other traders to enable flexible trading team coverage
14. Review transactions to ensure accuracy of information and that trades conform to different equity market regulations. Inform management regarding fluctuations and irregularities
15. Liaise with the Operations team to ensure proper settlement of all trades
16. Evaluate brokers quarterly via the Trading Cost Analysis platform and present results at the Best Execution Committee
17. Monitor and evaluate vendors who support the Trading function: Execution Management
Systems, Trading Cost Analysis systems, Commission Management systems, and Broker Voting systems
18. Generate reports that indicate achievement of Trade Execution team's goals of lowering transaction costs, decreasing slippage, and reducing market impact
Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in Business and Administration (MBA), Finance, Economics or related field is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of experience in investment management may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the financial markets with emphasis on trading equities is required.
Knowledge of domestic and international Equity markets is required.
Practical experience in trading foreign exchange at a large financial institution is desirable.
Proficiency in Execution Management Systems, Trading Cost Analysis systems, Commission Management systems, and Broker Voting systems is desirable.