Tax Operations Associate
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 15 Dec 18
Tax Operations Associate
Morgan Stanley US Tax Operations is a cross-divisional operational utility that supports Retail, Institutional, and Corporate business lines. Tax Operations is responsible for ensuring compliance with IRS & State Regulations related to US tax withholding, reporting, and filing obligations across Morgan Stanley's Retail and Institutional based clients and legal entities. Tax Operations works closely with senior Business Unit representatives and Financial Advisors, providing an in-depth client service role to insure that all tax related inquiries are addressed on a timely basis.
Tax Operations is seeking an Associate to support 1099 & 1042-S reporting as required by provisions within U.S Treasury Regulations . The role will report to a Director within US Tax Operations based in New York. This is a challenging position that requires strong organization and process management skills. This individual will be responsible for coordinating annual preparation and filing of IRS forms 1099 and 1042-S. Identify, monitor, and analyze information regarding relevant U.S. tax legislation as well as Internal Revenue Code and U.S. Treasury Regulation changes which impacts Morgan Stanley and Morgan Stanley's Institutional clients in relation to Form 1042-S and 1099 tax reporting.
The candidate will have extensive interactions with internal stakeholders in both the Business Units as well as colleagues outside of Tax Operations (e.g. Syndicated Loan Ops, FX Ops, Client Reference Data Ops, Tax Technology, Tax Compliance) and will be expected to provide exceptional service to the Business stakeholders and Morgan Stanley Clients.
The successful candidate will operate across all business units and functional areas within the firm and possess the following skills:
- Ability to operate across functional areas; including operations, technology, risk, and tax
- Organized and detail oriented
- Ability to operate in fluid environment with tight deadlines
- Ensure accurate and timely submission of year-end Form 1042-S and 1099.
- Understanding of complicated IRS Treasury regulations related to 1042-S and 1099 reporting.
- Facilitate Reporting of taxable Income to Morgan Stanley's Institutional Clients.
- Ability to multitask and take ownership of complex issues
- Attention to detail and meeting deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Comprehensive understanding of Microsoft Excel
- A good understanding of Operations, Technology, & Risk
- Advanced MS Office skills, including MS Project/ MS Powerpoint