My Client is a top tier Investment Bank with significant operations in NY and London. We are search for two mid/senior Directors for the group Strategy teams in both locations. The Bank has managed the Covid pandemic well and is now poised to take advantage of the recovery. If you are interested in having exposure to the C Suite of one of the top banks in the world, this could be the opportunity for you.
The role of a Director in the group Strategy team encompasses a broad range of expertise across retail, corporate and investment banking detailed knowledge, driving commercial performance and change, optimizing organisations and operations, financial planning, originating and driving change, influencing and partnering with senior stakeholders, team and Strategy franchise leadership. The position reports to the US Strategy Lead and will partner with Group ExCo level stakeholders to formulate, challenge and implement Group and business-level strategy.
Broadly, the core responsibilities of a a Director in Strategy would cover the following areas:
Partner with Group-ExCo level and Group-ExCo minus 1 senior stakeholders
- Establish regular dialogue with senior stakeholders to help formulate and challenge strategy
- Focus both on long term Strategic horizon as well as shorter term optimisation, using clear logic framework to draw conclusions; define clear strategic priorities for each business and work together to prepare strategic discussion materials for ExCo and business management teams as required
- Act as a trusted advisor to introduce objective review and challenge drawing on knowledge of industry trends as well as detailed business and commercial understanding and insight from other areas of the bank; preserve independence of thought
- Establish a framework for each business that makes clear its current and future focus and the actions required to realise, including partnership with Corporate Development to present M&A as a possible enabler of Strategy
Originate and execute projects
- Use external and longer term perspectives to judge possible scenarios that require changes in business organization and strategy
- Propose and originate Strategy projects that optimize the response to those changes in conjunction with senior stakeholders and help to drive performance in line with the financial plan
- Prioritise execution vs. other Strategy team priorities given finite resources
- Conclude clear recommendations and actions
Build relationships with external advisors
- Build relationships externally and act as the senior point of contact for the business
- Use external relationships to maintain knowledge of industry and formulate views on possible future opportunities and threats
Enhance firm financial performance and deliver the Medium Term Plan
- Identify areas of current and future financial underperformance and opportunity
- Work with business and functional stakeholders across the bank to focus main effort on delivery of financial targets across a variety of possible future scenarios
Strategy franchise and team management
- Build Strategy purpose and vision as part of the Strategy Management Team
- Establish clear vision and development plans for all team members, including establishment of mobility within and outside of the team
If you have a background from one of the top tier consulting firms and are looking for the next step in your career, and have exposure to the EXCO of a top tier institution. We want to hear from here. To be clear on level this is one level below Managing Director. Role in London and New York.