- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 26 Apr 18
Sr Database Engineer(MongoDB)
Location: New York, NY, USAThis is a challenging position within the Database and Middleware Engineering team of the Infrastructure Services. Reporting up to Moody's Chief Information Officer, Infrastructure organization leads all aspects of the company's global engineering, service management, network, branch office delivery, end user services and delivery of hosting, environment management and production support services. We support over 200 bespoke applications operating from 5 key private cloud data centers along with public cloud facilities. Infrastructure has invested significantly in ITIL-based service management, best practice information security, software and hardware to enable Infrastructure-as-a-Service and Platform-as-a-Service cloud-based architectures.
The candidate must be very motivated and willing to take on challenges, learn new concepts and be willing to multi-task to succeed. This is a level 3 role (L3) involving active leadership of outsourced partners and oversight/adaptation of newly introduced MongoDB technology within existing stack of database and Middleware space. The database and middleware team is responsible for setting the engineering standards for database and middleware technologies including specifying and maintaining specific hardened builds of each technology along with tracking software patching and maintaining technology lifecycles. This includes technology (software) configuration, operational and disaster recovery design and implementation, troubleshooting, performance optimization, creation of SOPs in coordination with the operations teams etc. The database and middleware team also has the ongoing responsibility to oversee the operations teams and to ensure that SOPs are followed, problems identified and resolved in a timely manner.
Responsible for the following as it relates to supporting the engineering and operations of the database technologies:
- Design, implement and follow strict engineering standards and guidelines to install, deploy and operate MongoDB environment to support business applications
- Create, configure and monitor MongoDB instances & replica sets.
- Support MongoDB in a highly Available and multi-data center environment
- Administer MongoDB Ops Manager monitoring, backups and automate routine tasks using scripts.
- Implement & Maintain database user security, Key performance indicators, and capacity planning
- Recommend adoption of new features and solutions to achieve operational excellence
- Develop and implement appropriate troubleshooting tools/technologies for proactively identifying problems including steps to quickly triage the problem leading to faster time to resolution
- Communicate effectively within and across multiple teams including vendors when required
- Track and document MongoDB infrastructure per application/technology including patch management and version control.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in the Big Data & NoSQL space and recommend improvements to enhance the team's delivery capabilities
- Represent team in Application requirement gathering, Capacity Planning and Change management review meetings and be the first level of approver for planned changes.
- Partner with Level 2 team in creating SOPs and reporting for operations teams and ensure adherence to the same
- Hands-on with scripting language (shell, Perl, python ) and dev Ops tools
Moody's Information Technology
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent experience) in Engineering or IT-related field
- Minimum 5 years' experience in managing and operationally supporting MongoDB/NoSQL production Environments.
- 5+ Years MongoDB Ops Manager expertise.
- Knowledge of Relational Database platforms (Oracle, MSSQL) is a plus
- Must have working experience with scripting language (shell, Perl, Python ) and DevOps tools (Puppet, Chef, JIRA)
- Knowledge of different code migration techniques
- 5+ years Linux OS Experience in a production environment
- Must have designed/architected and implemented minimum 2 end-to-end MDM environments.
- Knowledge of Database technologies and operational process
- Strong project management skills preferred
- Excellent communication skills both written and in-person
- Experience working in a virtualized and cloud environment
- Experience in end to end automation and orchestration using leading tools (VMware-VCAC, CHEF, PUPPET, Satellite etc)
- Strong Unix Shell scripting/Python/Jython/standard scripting tools
- Demonstrated ability to implement a project from start to finish
- Ability to understand and document client requirements and suggest appropriate solutions
- Ability to actively work on multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to learn quickly and draw meaningful conclusions from independent research
Moody's is an essential component of the global capital markets, providing credit ratings, research, tools and analysis that contribute to transparent and integrated financial markets. Moody's Corporation (NYSE: MCO) is the parent company of Moody's Investors Service, which provides credit ratings and research covering debt instruments and securities, and Moody's Analytics, which offers leading-edge software, advisory services and research for credit and economic analysis and financial risk management. The Corporation, which reported revenue of $4.2 billion in 2017, employs approximately 11,900 people worldwide and maintains a presence in 41 countries. Further information is available at www.moodys.com.
Moody's is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender, age, religion, national origin, citizen status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Moody's also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws. If you need to inquire about a reasonable accommodation, or need assistance with completing the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.. This contact information is for accommodation requests only, and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For San Francisco positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. For New York City positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the New York City Fair Chance Act. For all other applicants, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of applicable law.
Click here to view our full EEO policy statement. Click here for more information on your EEO rights under the law.
Candidates for Moody's Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody's Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.