Senior Specialist, Technical Writer
Join a global team of technical writers as part of the Global Operations and Strategy group at BNY Mellon and help build the future of technology in the firm. GOTS is spearheading the adoption of Agile, DevOps, and business-aligned product delivery, and instituting long-term, transformative changes, while evolving Technology's multi-year Operating Model and the Technology Strategy Master Plan. We are driving a comprehensive People and Workforce Strategy which identifies and invests in the skills that will create a world class Technology organization and a highly engaged workforce, with a focus on promoting continuous learning, development, listening, and recognition. Critically, we are surfacing and prioritizing the best strategic change investment opportunities to improve efficiency, increase productivity, and shift spending to deliver a sustainable advantage through investment in differentiating activities. To enable growth at scale, we are delivering superior Technical Documentation for the changes to our strategy, operating model, and tools, to drive the adoption of shared services, enterprise frameworks, and components, and to support end-users and customer. Job Description/Responsibilities:
Join a growing technical documentation team to help drive key projects throughout Technology and Operations in these key areas.
- In support of our transition to becoming an agile firm, drive Agile/DevOps adoption in Technology, Operations, and the Business by supporting new toolchains, processes, and best practices for all affected areas by providing:
- User Guides, Best Practices, Use Cases, including product overviews, step-by-step procedures, troubleshooting information, best practices, white papers, and FAQs
- Training materials
- Release Notes
- User communications
- Support for Communities of Practice
- Technical information for Confluence and other intranet sites
- Collaborate with subject matter experts and users to deliver accurate, high quality end-user documentation that creates a delightful user experience
- Work with engineering teams, project leads and managers, and business users to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be developed for documentation
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to industry standards (topic-based, structured, DITA-based authoring, etc.) regarding information typing, reusability, and relevance
- Improve the quality and coverage of existing technical documentation by performing technical and editorial revisions for improvements in scope, format, and content
- Maintain currency of existing documentation by driving periodic reviews
- Convert existing blog-style pages to topic-based pages using DITA
- Help build the singular Technical Documentation portal for the firm
- Bachelor's degree in Technical Writing, Computer Science, or related field, or a history of significant work experience in fast-paced enterprise technology development environments
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
- 8 to 10 years of experience writing highly technical documentation in a team-based environment
- Exceptional English language skills - writing, grammar, and communications
- Strong writing skills with experience in writing and maintaining documentation that adheres to style guides such as the Microsoft Manual of Style
- Strong team player with outstanding communication, organization, and collaboration skills
- Comfort with quickly changing priorities, in a fast-paced development environment
- Ability to handle multiple, simultaneous projects while contributing to the achievement of multiple teams' objectives
- Ability to learn new technology quickly, demonstrated by experience in an engineering environment
- Experience developing technical documentation by using the software being documented during the development lifecycle and performing task analysis
- Experience with technical editing of other writers' work
- Experience with topic-based writing or DITA is a plus
- Experience with SharePoint is a plus
- Passion for Excellence - Driven by a deep sense of purpose, we act with urgency in setting deadlines, use our grit and resourcefulness to overcome obstacles, and cut through red tape to deliver on time-every time. Whether delivering results for clients, pioneering new solutions, or running efficient operations-we set the bar high and strive to raise it, measuring ourselves against the best in class, anywhere.
- Integrity - Every action and every decision is an opportunity to build and safeguard client trust. We act ethically, lawfully, and honestly-regardless of any short-term pressures we may face. We trust each other to debate the ideas and not the person. United in our passion to achieve our Vision, we push each other when something important is at stake.
- Strength in Diversity - Difference makes us stronger. We actively incorporate perspectives from across backgrounds, experience, and expertise that can help cultivate belonging, identify blind spots, and unlock new value. The growth of others is as important as our own. We take the time, offer the honest word, and go the extra mile to help all our colleagues succeed.
- Courage to Lead - Today's world requires that we anticipate tomorrow's challenges and pioneer new ways forward. We assess risk prudently, pursue ideas boldly and decisively, and take accountability for the results. The pursuit of excellence requires learning from our mistakes, not wallowing in them. We welcome new ideas, celebrate successes, and get smarter from failures.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums. Primary Location:
United States-New York-New York Internal Jobcode:
Information Technology Organization:
Tech Strategy & Business Mgmt-HR06033 Requisition Number: