Senior Software Engineer - Web Multimedia
The Web Multimedia team is focused on creating engaging experiences with the best of Bloomberg's multimedia and news content. We leverage our large library of digital content to tell stories. Our team is focused on everything from designing new multimedia formats, to building the streaming infrastructure and data repositories that power these articles. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate that is excited about industry standard tools and delivering in the fast-paced media industry.
Powered by the award winning data-backed journalism of Bloomberg News, we build delightful and engaging experiences that reimagine how users consume news. Our goal is to help consumers stay informed in a way that better fits their lives and needs. We are an agile and cross functional team that experiments with different story templates and media formats to solve real problems for our customers. Our projects are high profile for the business, are often featured in press mentions and have viral potential. We collaborate closely with our Product and Editorial teams to make Bloomberg Media an indispensable resource for our customers.
Our team infrastructure is scalable and reusable. Not only do we power our applications but we also help other business verticals like BGOV and handle their media as well. In total, we stream millions of videos, Live TV, and podcasts every day. Not every company can say that. We work with content delivery networks (CDNs), cloud providers and Ad networks to scale our service globally. Our technology stack includes: a custom HLS HTML 5 player, multi-CDN's and multi-cloud applications, video asset warehousing, VOD and LIVE streaming, and OTT devices. With more than 200,000 assets in our library, it is our job to make our content discoverable and consumable.
Our stack evolves quickly and currently consists of distributed systems, HTML5, NodeJS, Java, and Kubernetes among others. Given the scope of our work, the team has a unique opportunity to innovate and contribute ideas across the media space. Our ideal candidate should have a passion for the web and the cloud, an appetite to try new things, and a propensity to move quickly and thoughtfully. We look forward to seeing how you would take this system to the next level! We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Engineer end-to-end multimedia infrastructure and delivery for multi-platform consumption
- Own, manage, and deliver reliable and flexible services that support multimedia integrations for other teams.
- Using story and multimedia tools and content to build delightful digital experiences
We'd love to see:
- 3+ years of experience with Node.js or Java building backend services using REST
- An understanding of end-to-end multimedia delivery on various clients
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Experience with HTML5 Video
- Familiarity with Spring Framework
- Experience with streaming protocols (HLS, DASH)
- Experience with a CDN for video streaming
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.