Senior Software Engineer - Parametric
P arametric is part of Morgan Stanley Investment Management, the asset management division of Morgan Stanley. We partner with advisors, institutions, and consultants to build portfolios focused on what's important to them and their clients. A leader in custom solutions for more than 30 years, we help investors access efficient market exposures, solve implementation challenges, and design multi-asset portfolios that respond to their evolving needs. We also offer systematic alpha and alternative strategies to complement clients' core holdings.
The Investment Systems: Trading and Compliance team is responsible for the development and support of trading and compliance systems across all asset classes, providing customized, performant, and scalable technology solutions which support high transactional volumes for the business.
The Senior Software Engineer will be responsible for design, development, and integration of various technology solutions, including the development of our proprietary trading and compliance systems. Parametric provides a mature working environment for software professionals who excel when working collaboratively with other talented individuals. We pride ourselves on our modern development practices and constantly strive to improve them. Custom software solutions are a key element of our success and, as such, we consider software engineering a tier-one competency.
- Work closely with the business unit and other team members to understand and document requirements.
- Provide flexible solutions to complex business problems using our technology practices.
- Design, develop, and support technical and business-oriented applications, including business tier components, relational database models, interactive web-based user interfaces, and integration solutions with third-party data providers and systems.
- Create unit, integration, and functional tests.
- Contribute to evolution of our architecture to make it more flexible and easier to use.
- Follow our development process and guidelines.
- Conduct code reviews of other developers.
- Follow technology trends/tools and recommend improvements to our technology when appropriate.
The ideal candidate is driven, ready to learn, promotes consistency across the department, and demonstrates a willingness to share knowledge and experiences that will leverage all team members' strengths. Technology is constantly evolving; adaptability, eagerness to learn, and teamwork are essential. Ahead of us is an exciting journey as we transition into cloud-based solutions, and we are all collaborating on developing new and improved solutions.
- 5+ years of hands-on object-oriented (preferably Java/J2EE) design and development experience.
- Solid understanding of core language features and how to use them properly (interfaces, generics, annotations, reflection, closures, etc.).
- Practical knowledge of major open source projects including Spring, Spring Boot, and Hibernate.
- Familiarity with containers (Docker).
- Cloud experience and certifications are preferred (AWS is a plus).
- Proven experience with test driven development, JUnit, and test mocking.
- Strong knowledge of RDBMS and SQL.
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git.
- Working experience with agile development.
- Familiarity with continuous integration and build tools like Gradle and GitLab.
- Deep understanding of SOA, AOP, and major design patterns including the MVC, DAO, and observer patterns.
- Working experience with major application servers such as Tomcat.
- Proven track record of becoming a subject matter expert in areas related to current assignments.
- Effective communication skills with business users and other developers.
- AWS experience and certifications are preferred.
- Financial services industry experience is a plus.
Parametric believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties and qualifications, but not limit the employee or the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that every employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our client services.