Senior Software Engineer - NoSQL Infrastructure
Bloomberg's NoSQL Infrastructure team offers Apache Cassandra as a hosted service. The team has visibility across the organization as we're providing a pathway for scalable data storage. We support critical and highly-visible applications such as ultra low-latency market data caches and geo-replicated trade event stores. The team manages over 1000 Cassandra nodes storing over 500 terabytes of data and processing nearly 20 billion requests per day. The team is looking for senior engineers with interest in distributed databases and data management to continue to drive the platform forward.
The team's focus is to foster Cassandra adoption by improving its usability within Bloomberg. The team has developed automation workflows for managing the lifecycle of clusters, keyspace deployment and schema management. We've implemented client libraries for service discovery that we are looking to enhance with custom load balancing and retry policies. We also provide solutions engineering for application teams, helping them with data modeling and architecture. Currently, we are focused on improving our core automation of Cassandra, developing a feature-rich self service console for managing Cassandra databases, developing a proxy service to provide a simpler access layer and offering a system to provide self-managed backups and database copies.
If you are a software engineer who is passionate about distributed systems, and is interested in developing backend software infrastructure, we'd like to talk to you about an opening on our team. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Help application teams looking to use Cassandra with workload characterization, performance tuning and failure analysis.
- Improve the operability of the platform by developing automation such as cluster auto-healing and auto-expansion.
- Improve the usability of the platform by building tooling such as our proxy service that does workload management for multi-tenant deployments and our database copy system.
- Identify feature gaps in the technologies and work with the open source community to co-design and co-develop features and bug fixes
We'd love to see:
- Experience with modern development methodologies and tools (Jira, Jenkins, Git, etc)
- Experience with object-oriented design.
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Strong problem solving and communication skills.
If you'd like to know more about the work we do, check out Bloomberg's Github:
- Upstream, accepted contributions to open source projects.
- A strong understanding of distributed systems.
- Production experience with NoSQL databases or other distributed storage technologies in a platform/infrastructure software engineering role.
https://github.com/bloomberg , our recent talk at Datastax Accelerate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjypMRrit9U and some of our recent work on Cassandra Reaper:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.