Senior Software Engineer - ESG Team
ESG - environmental, social, and governance - refers to the three critical factors in evaluating the sustainability and associated potential financial performance of a company. ESG data is increasingly crucial for our clients - providing deeper intelligence than conventional financial analysis alone. Climate change, regulatory pressures, the importance of human capital, and diversity are just a few critical factors global investors consider to identify emerging risks and opportunities best. Hear Mike Bloomberg speak about ESG in the Bloomberg Impact report https://www.bloomberg.com/impact .
As ESG data demand from investors continues to increase, with the market expected to swell to $1 billion in 2021, we have an exciting opportunity to innovate and build a suite of products for our clients.
Over the next few months, one of our main initiatives is to design and architect a brand new quantitative and transparent scoring model to evaluate and publish proprietary ESG data and scores. Apart from this, we also need to collaborate with leading ESG providers to accurately model and expose a diverse set of ESG data. To accomplish our goals, we need to invest in building a highly scalable and reliable data pipeline to allow for seamless integration and onboarding of data using technologies such as Kafka. Another exciting challenge for us is to revolutionize the discoverability and transparency of our rich data sets using modern technologies and frameworks such as Solr search and GraphQL. What's in it for you:
In this dynamic environment, our team is both collaborative and inclusive; you will help build a Greenfield product in close partnership with our quantitative research and product teams. As a senior engineer, this will be a growth opportunity to demonstrate your technical leadership to build modern solutions with end to end ownership of the product.
We work on a wide software stack ranging from building resilient back end services and data pipelines to designing and implementing intuitive front end UIs for our clients. We combine a data flow execution framework, various data pipelines, and message queues, a high availability time-series data store, and a flexible, generic, low-latency querying framework to pull in terabytes of data and distribute it to clients in a scalable, highly performant manner. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Work with a variety of Bloomberg and open-source technologies, including Redis, Docker, Splunk, Pytest, Google Test, pylint, cmake, Jenkins, and any open source technologies that will help get the job done
- Provide technical leadership in a recently launched engineering team
- Collaborate with a wide array of stakeholders within Engineering and beyond
We'd love to see:
- 5+ years of experience of industry experience owning SDLC end to end
- Proficiency working in Python
- Ability to partner with our product counterparts to synthesize requirements and convey complex technical ideas with simplicity
- Ability to understand the bigger picture and understand our clients' use cases
- Collaborate with stakeholders as well as other engineering teams to learn and employ best practices
- Experience working in database design, queueing, three-tiered architectures, microservices
- Ability to understand new technologies/codebases quickly, to "hit the ground running."
- Mastery of best practices in design and implementation of software
- Interest in working with large datasets and an aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Eagerness to work in an inclusive team, contribute to fun team culture, and stay open to new ideas
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
- A passion for making a positive difference in the world through technology
- Experience working within the Scrum model
- Experience working with Quantitative Analysts
- Eagerness for working with third-party/open-source technologies
- Experience with containerization and CI/CD solutions (e.g. Docker, Jenkins)
- Enthusiasm to lead, share new ideas, drive processes and technology frameworks with the team
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.