Senior Software Engineer - Bloomberg Law Search & AI
Join us in building the most sophisticated legal search engine! The search team specializes in relevance engineering and distributed systems to build state of the art search engines for legal professionals. You will be part of a team working on challenging problems, including distributed indexing/data processing infrastructure, document data stores, distributed information retrieval system (Solr/Lucene), natural language querying interface and designing search relevance algorithms. You'll be helping to ensure the quality and stability of APIs as well as innovating and experimenting with new algorithms and methodologies. What is Bloomberg Law?
Bloomberg Law is a legal research platform, providing users with fast access to legal content, analysis, and practice tools through advanced search capabilities. We are committed to changing the way legal professionals conduct their day-to-day tasks by automating research and providing analytical solutions to help them get real-time answers. Our goal is to use innovative technologies to deliver best-in-class solutions on a fast, reliable web platform that will disrupt the legal research industry. What role does Search play in Bloomberg Law?
We play a central role in the research experience by providing users to search an index of a billion legal documents. The Bloomberg Law search platform leverages open source search technologies, machine learning models and natural language processing to enhance our customers' search experience. In order to meet our requirements of surfacing the most relevant search results while scaling to our content and user bases, we also apply techniques from domains such as information retrieval and distributed systems. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, please apply to learn more! What you will do:
As a senior engineer in the Search team, you will be responsible for enhancing the search engine powering Bloomberg Law. And as a senior member of the team, you also will be responsible for bringing in new ideas, evangelizing, and shepherding their adoption within the team. You will also have opportunities to apply machine learning, natural language processing, and information retrieval techniques to improve the relevance of search results, or build entirely new features! You'll need to have:
We'll trust you to:
- Expert level knowledge in Java or another object-oriented language
- Solid expertise in algorithms, concurrency, distributed systems, and resiliency
- Strong analytic and creative problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be a team player A passion for programming, distributed processing, and analytics
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Be tuned in to market trends and emerging technologies to find innovative solutions
- Can work in a tight-knit environment where collaboration is a core tenet
- Learn and apply best practices in running large scale distributed systems
- Take ownership of technical solutions, from the design and development to production release
- Take risks. Our fast paced environment will require you to take on challenges and strive to exceed expectations
- Experience with Apache Solr, Lucene, or Elasticsearch--we work extensively with Apache Solr and Lucene, using custom query parsers and tuning relevance models.
- Experience building data pipelines or performing distributed data processing especially on AWS.
- Contributions to open-source projects. We rely extensively on open source!
- Expertise in the legal domain or experience working on legal research platforms.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.