Senior Software Engineer - Accounting
Description About this role
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, drive, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $7 trillion of assets we have an exceptional responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial wellbeing.
Being a developer at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and also being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions. What is Aladdin and the Aladdin Product Group (APG)?
You will be working on BlackRock's investment operating system Aladdin. Aladdin is used both internally and externally by many financial institutions. Aladdin combines sophisticated risk analytics with comprehensive portfolio management, trading and operations tools on a single platform to power informed decision-making and create a connective tissue for thousands of users investing worldwide.
Our development team's sit inside APG. We collaboratively build the next generation of technology that changes the way information, people, and technology intersect for global investment firms. We build and package tools that manage trillions in assets and supports millions of financial instruments. We perform risk calculations and process millions of transactions for thousands of users every day worldwide! Job Purpose
As the senior technical lead for Aladdin Accounting, you'll lead a team that works closely with BlackRock's Aladdin Product Management and Design team to build Aladdin's Accounting platform. Our primary objective is to ensure that systems are highly scalable to support ongoing business demands and client requirements. The team is responsible for delivering tools used by Operations professionals at BlackRock and Aladdin Clients, to calculate Portfolio Valuation, Official Performance and Investment Accounting. Accounting and Performance functionality contributes heavily to the evolution of the Aladdin platform which directly influences the product's market share. The team has a global footprint with team members in New York, Atlanta, Delaware and Gurgaon. Key responsibilities:
- The ideal candidate will have a background in development, architectural decisions, and business processes to deliver the cleanest solutions.
- Share responsibility for architecting and implementing the firms accounting platforms.
- Responsible for availability, scalability, performance and capacity from development through production for a critical strategic build of the new accounting platform
- Reduce errors on deployments, improve reliability, and increase speed of implementation through automation
- Continuously refine and improve our toolset to improve our data and persistence layers
- 10+ years of experience in IT including at least 7 years in development / architecture roles
- Extensive experience in enterprise software development in Java and web development stacks (Angular, NodeJS, HTML & CSS)
- Experience building multi-tier, scalable, fault tolerant web applications
- Experience with platform integrations and designing service APIs
- Extensive Service-Oriented Architecture patterns and design knowledge and familiarity with cloud based services
- Expertise with identity management, authentication and information security standard methodologies
- Expertise in working with complex cross-domain applications in a global organization across multiple time zones
- Enjoys a fast paced, high-intensity and complex environment, troubleshooting time sensitive critical issues and working with people
- Extensive experience with multi-tier transactional architecture and design
- Experience with Sybase, Cassandra
- Event / Stream processing technologies
- Experience using Agile methodologies - previous experience working from a backlog, sprints, retrospectives etc.
- Passionate about test driven, clean code, automatically tested and continuous deployment
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to present and convey ideas
- Strong attention to detail; attitude, and willingness to roll up sleeves
- Curious to explore emerging technologies and learn new things
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or similar subject area, Masters degree preferred
- Experience in the financial services industry is preferred
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.81 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock .
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.