Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Managed Systems Engineering
The Bloomberg Terminal brings together real-time data on every market, breaking news, in-depth research, powerful analytics, communications tools and world-class execution capabilities - in one fully integrated solution. Key to providing the mission-critical infrastructure which powers our platform, the Managed Systems Engineering (MSE) group is responsible for building automation to provision, configure, and maintain Bloomberg's global production server fleet throughout its lifecycle. MSE also builds and maintains numerous vital infrastructure services ranging from configuration management and orchestration frameworks to DNS and monitoring infrastructure.
MSE uses an infrastructure-as-code approach in conjunction with open-source tools to ensure a scalable and reliable environment in which to operate. The group's responsibilities include helping to advise application teams on best practices for architecting software and dealing with some of the company's biggest infrastructure performance challenges. No matter where your interests lie in the field of infrastructure engineering, MSE has a position which will suit you! What's in it for you:
You'll be part of a team that operates at scale, building platform functionality, negotiating edge cases, and engineering for safety across tens of thousands of hosts. As part of MSE, you will have the opportunity to work alongside engineers focused on automation and reliability while being exposed to many open-source tools and being empowered to contribute back to the OSS community. We have unique and interesting challenges to solve: you will be asked to help build a pathway toward increasingly virtualized and containerized infrastructure, create tools to automate systems management within some of our most mission-critical application space, and provide creative solutions for better managing our diverse environment. You'll need to have:
We would love to see:
- Experience programming in Python or Ruby
- Expertise in analyzing, diagnosing, and solving problems in a Linux/Unix production environment
- Robust understanding of large-scale systems architecture
- A persevering attitude to challenge the status quo
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to work well in a collaborative environment
- An understanding of some or all of the following: configuration management, orchestration, CI/CD, API design and implementation, infrastructure monitoring and telemetry
- Familiarity with one or more of the following technologies is preferred: Chef, SaltStack, Ansible, Airflow, Jenkins
- Linux kernel or networking knowledge is a major bonus
- Experience with Windows is useful but not required
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.