Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Compute Platform
A SRE at Bloomberg is a hybrid of systems and software engineering who is trusted to improve the stability and availability of the production environment through automation. They are responsible for monitoring, provisioning / configuration / orchestration, capacity management, deployment and rollback, incident management, and SDLC practices.
The Compute Platform team is responsible for providing the bare metal infrastructure on which all of Bloomberg's applications and services reside. Our team is trusted to engineer a hardware platform which maximizes server performance on a standardized hardware configuration. We are also entrusted to architect the platform for tomorrow by partnering with industry leading vendors and thoroughly evaluating leading hardware for inclusion in Bloomberg's compute infrastructure. As a Compute Platform SRE you will solve challenging technology problems by building architecturally sound, high-quality platforms that enable Bloomberg to exceed critical business objectives. What's in it for you?
You'll work with modern open-source tooling while maintaining mission-critical systems hosting a wide array of applications. We'll depend on you to advise on design, architecture, and scaling of Compute Platform Specifications for a wide array of internal customers and infrastructure platforms. In addition, you'll play a critical role in improving the stability of existing hardware platforms to ensure quality, stability, and scalability of Bloomberg's applications and services. You'll Need to Have
We'd Love to see
- Demonstrated experience programming and testing Python, Ruby, Go, or C/C++
- Experience working in a 24/7 production engineering organization
- Ability to listen, communicate, evaluate, problem solve, multi-task, and prioritize in a high-pressure, mission-critical, and rewarding team environment
- Deep expertise troubleshooting complex distributed systems
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks
- Working knowledge of Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Salt
- Familiarity with open source configuration, orchestration, and CI/CD tools
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP and Unix networking
- Knowledge of Linux or Windows internals
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.