Senior Legal Counsel
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Work with other Legal staff to provide legal coverage for US businesses within Global Banking, Corporate Finance Businesses and Transaction Banking and general Legal support for all US / Americas / New York law matters as needed.
- Client negotiations involve knowledge, skill and confidence. It's important to be diplomatic but assertive when presenting our views and when considering the client's point of view, and ensuring SCB is put in the best position possible from both a business and values perspective.
- Legal issues often involve confidential matters. It is important to exercise good judgement while handling sensitive matters. Three key characteristics that play an important role in this position are attention to detail, the ability to maintain confidentiality and observe legal privilege, and the ability to respectfully interact with all internal and external individuals approaching us for services and information.
- In maintaining a good working relationship with co-workers and external sources, such as attorneys and government representatives, it is important to understand their concerns and handle their inquiries in a timely, comprehensive and confidential manner. Discretion and good judgement are paramount.
- Accurate knowledge and assessment of laws, rules, regulations affecting the Bank and the judgement to implement measures to comply.
- A balance approach as a business partner and independent guardian for the Bank.
- Global Banking secondary Legal coverage on syndicated loans, (Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) as lender or agent; use of LSTA form or other standard form loan documentation), SWIFT loans (not for trade purposes), loan originations, and bilateral loans.
- Corporate Finance (CF) secondary coverage across all products, including structured trade finance, credit and export finance, structured finance, project and export finance, back-up coverage on M&A advisory.
- Transaction Banking (TB) secondary Legal coverage on matters related to trade finance, including L/C issuance and reimbursement matters, pre-shipment finance, FI trade loans and advances, borrowing base trade loans, import finance, invoice financing (import and export), receivable purchase.
- Full range of legal support for FM, CF, lending, and TB matter and business teams, including, but not limited to, direct negotiations with clients and their counsels. Legal review and negotiation of Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDA's) across all SCB functions. Regional Product forum, Americas - sourcing of legal opinions and Legal input for FM and TB products.
- Support MDU on legal matters related to master agreement documentation and regulation as needed.
- Provide additional functions within Americas L&C, as needed, to support the wholesale banking businesses provided in the Region.
- Familiarity with LSTA form loan documentation.
- Ability to confidently negotiate terms of various types of agreements with clients on the basis of a sound understanding of the law and judgment as to how such laws apply to SCB.
- Interact with L&C staff locally and globally to stay abreast and inform of legal and compliance requirements, regulations, laws, etc.
- Work with Corporate Finance, Financial Markets, Transaction Banking, and Global Banking business personnel on legal matters, contracts, and documentation.
- Work directly with Head of Legal, Americas, Head, Legal, C&I and Products, Americas and Head, Legal Transaction Banking, Americas.
- Work with the Legal Documentation Unit and ISDA negotiators on legal matters as needed.
- Assist with Coordination of examinations/audits of the Department.
- Liaise with Ops Risk team to stay up to date on BORM matters.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the way to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- General Counsel for the Americas; Head of Legal, Americas; Head of Legal TB Americas; Head of Legal, Global Banking Americas; RMs/Sales/Products for TB and GB Americas; Credit Americas; Compliance Americas; Trade Ops Americas; External Law firms
Our Ideal Candidate
- Ensure that SCB business is conducted in accordance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, as well as institutional policies and procedures.
- Protect the good reputation of SCB by flagging and protecting against any potential or actual operational, financial, or reputational risks.
- JD or other equivalent Legal degree
- Admitted to practice law in New York State preferred
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.