Senior Java Developer
Clearing, Markets & Issuer Services Technology (CMIST)
is responsible for application development and support for critical business systems including Repo Edge (collateral management), Enterprise Payment Hub (multi-currency payment processing), and Broker Dealer Clearance (securities clearing), along with approximately 350 other applications used by the following high-priority business services and their clients. Clearance and Collateral Technology (CCT)
within CMIST builds clearance and collateral management platforms to service BNY Mellon's broker-dealer clients and is the sole provider for Government Securities Clearing Services. Considering the core nature of the business and the dominant market share, high-performance and resiliency are key pillars of the technology architecture. The group is transforming itself into a data-centric organization and we are seeking strong technologists who can adapt to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment. If you thrive on solving problems, thinking critically and creating change, we want you to be a part of our team! Overview of the role :
Data Services team is a shared service team that provides key functional capabilities such as self-service reporting, self-service data analytics, risk analytics, operational reconciliation, and integration of core processes with deployed machine learning models. We are enhancing our team and looking for a Java Back-end Developer to work with us as we transform our Clearance and Collateral Technology (CCT) group into a data driven organization. The Collateral & Clearance Technology group is responsible for building high-performance critical market platforms. The group designs, builds and supports the platform used for US Triparty Repo and Global Collateral Services solutions. This service has 85% of the US Triparty Repo business with $2.7trn of assets globally. This group supports the most critical client-facing services for BNY Mellon.
Job responsibilities and opportunities
- Drive the design and implementation of scalable, high performing and robust applications.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential issues, and devise contingency plans.
- Improve our software delivery capabilities via automation and repeatability
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to more junior engineers including code reviews and diving in to coding assignments when necessary as well as defining and implementing best in class standards.
- Help the tech management team shape best practices for developing, sharing and continuously improving our software platform.
- Identifying issues to teams that they might overlook, such as scalability, performance, or security.
- Coordinate with internal and external technology teams as needed for end to end service delivery.
- Consult and collaborate with internal business partners to construct and execute on our service delivery strategy and ensure compliance with the firm's delivery and regulatory standards.
Consults with internal business groups to provide high-level application software development services or technical support for backed features and components. Scaling the backend architecture and codebase to support growth. Provides comprehensive senior-level technical consulting to IT management and senior technical staffs. Evaluates compliance with the organization's technology standards. Programming well-designed, testable, efficient code. Analyze, design and develop tests and test-automation suites. Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to satisfy requirements and solutions. Maintain software functionality and currency (technical debt and gain). Actively participate in code reviews. Integrate software components into a fully functional software system. Apply security and privacy principles. Works with internal business groups on implementation opportunities, challenges, and requirements of various applications. Analyzes information and provides recommendations to address and resolve business issues for a specific business group. Guides and consults with IT management and technical staffs regarding use of emerging technologies and associated services. Participates in defining corporate implementation and integration strategies of new technologies. Active learning engagement. Complete all required mandatory training / policy awareness curricula on time. Use learning tools such as Pluralsight to complete both recommended and aspirational targets set in personal development plans. Stays abreast of emerging technologies. Advocates for innovative, creative technology solutions. Mentors junior level engineers. Prior experience with using a specific application development toolkit and knowledge of a backend development language required (i.e. Java) S/he must have knowledge about the functions and features of modern and traditional structured methods for developing applications. Communications and organization skills; team work skills ; possess strong interpersonal skills to support mentoring. Contributes to the achievement of area objectives. Job holder must have understanding interdependencies and business impact of future IT plans. S/he must have prior lead experience selecting and implementing vendor-specific methodologies and prior consulting experience with structured methodologies. Extensive experience with developing and supporting backend environment required. Job holder must have broad experience with multi-platform development tools and toolkits.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required
- 9-11 years of experience in software development required;
- Recent 9+ years of experience with Java tech stack
- Experience as an architect or principal engineer with hands on design and coding experience
- Developers with Java and Core basics experience
- Expertise in test driven and behavior driven development
- Extensive experience with agile software development methodologies, tools and processes.
- Knowledge of orchestration of microservices in an elastic container-based cloud environment
- Experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus.