The Bureau of Asset Management (BAM) is responsible for oversight of the investment portfolios of the New York City Retirement Systems (Systems). This $250 billion portfolio is managed primarily by external investment managers and is largely invested in publicly-traded securities, with additional allocations to private equity, real estate, infrastructure, hedge funds and opportunistic fixed income investments. The Senior Investment Analyst will assist in overseeing the investment activity of the Systems’ private equity fund investments.
NYC OFFICE OF THE COMPTROLLER
JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Title: Senior Investment Analyst – Private Equity
Salary: $80,000 - $95,000
Bureau/Division: Bureau of Asset Management
Period: May 18, 2021 - Until Filled
The Bureau of Asset Management (BAM) is responsible for oversight of the investment portfolios of the New York City Retirement Systems (Systems). This $250 billion portfolio is managed primarily by external investment managers and is largely invested in publicly-traded securities, with additional allocations to private equity, real estate, infrastructure, hedge funds and opportunistic fixed income investments. The Senior Investment Analyst will assist in overseeing the investment activity of the Systems’ private equity fund investments. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintaining internal databases of prospective investment opportunities; performing technical analyses and developing fund summaries on prospective investment opportunities; working with the investment team and the Systems’ consultants to identify, review and evaluate prospective investment opportunities;
- Preparing decision-making documents for internal Investment Committees and for Boards of Trustees; coordinating the administrative processes required for all investments; assisting the investment team, the General Counsel’s office, and consultants in the legal negotiation and the legal documentation processes of new investment agreements and other related contracts;
- Monitoring and managing the portfolio of existing investments to ensure compliance with the terms of the limited partnership agreement and other contracts; maintaining internal databases of existing investments; constructing financial models, performing technical analyses and developing update fund summaries for existing investments;
- Preparing research analyses on market trends, strategies, industries, sectors, geographies and other topics as required; developing, updating and ensuring the accuracy of reports that track partnership reporting, including the financial statements, quarterly reports, notices of distributions, capital calls and investment valuations;
- Working closely with the investment operations team, the Systems’ consultants and custodian to report internally on the performance of the Systems’ investment portfolio; assisting in processing capital calls and distributions; monitoring, tracking and processing amendment requests, consent notices and other contract changes;
- Participating in limited partner advisory committee meetings, annual meetings and quarterly update calls and using relationships with general partners to monitor fund developments; preparing written meeting reports; updating reports to track Systems’ activity; and coordinating investment conferences and other events;
- Liaising with multiple internal and external constituencies, including fund managers, consultants, industry organizations, internal legal counsel and internal cash management teams;
- Preparing presentations, analyses and appendices used in annual implementation and strategic plans; and, performing other related assignments or special projects as may be required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- A graduate degree from an accredited college or university in business, economics, finance, accounting or a closely related field, and two (2) or more years of progressively responsible experience in investment banking or asset management (private equity, public equity or hedge funds), or similar experience at a consulting firm or in a closely related area; or,
- BS/BA degree from an accredited college with major studies in the fields mentioned above and four (4) or more years of progressively responsible professional experience as described above; or,
- A satisfactory equivalent of education and experience mentioned above.
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Clearly demonstrated professional investment experience in private equity expected;
- Excellent accounting, writing, presentation, interpersonal, communication, organizational and process management skills;
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills are a must.
TO APPLY, GO TO: Employment Opportunities at https://comptroller.nyc.gov/jobs/apply/
The selected candidate will be subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the office’s Personal Trading Policy.
Certain residency requirements may apply. We appreciate every applicant’s interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Note: Vacancy notices listed as “Until Filled” will be posted for at least five work days.
May 18, 2021
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer