Senior Index Manager
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 24 May 19
Senior Index Manager
The Role: Senior Index Manager, Factor Index Group
The Location: New York, NY
The Team: The Factor Index Group is responsible for complex index strategies, which include Quality, Value, Momentum, Enhanced Value, Intrinsic Value, Multi Factor, Multi Asset and other Smart Beta indices.
The Impact: The Senior Index Manager is responsible for managing a wide range of S&P and Dow Jones branded global indices. The Senior Index Manager is required to make presentations to Index Committees for all matters relevant to assigned indices and is also required to act as a backup to other managers in the department, making in-depth knowledge of their indices essential.
What's in it for you: As a Senior Index Manager, you will be responsible for a group of indices. The senior index manager must be able to analyze and implement complex index methodology and solve non-routine problems on an on-going basis. As part of that responsibility, the senior index manager makes recommendations for changes in index membership according to the index methodology and presents the changes to the index committee.
Responsibilities: The Senior Index Manager will be a subject matter expert, an example and escalation point for more junior team members and a back-up for the team leader.
In addition, the Senior Index Manager will be required to:
- Calculate S&P and Dow Jones branded indices, ensuring timely and accurate delivery of real-time and end-of-day index data to clients and end users
- Ensure corporate actions of constituents in each assigned index are correctly applied in SPDJI proprietary system according to index methodology and validate special treatment for index specific items
- Perform analytical research on companies to determine the composition of assigned indices, interpreting complex index methodology and adjusting data in our calculation system, and adjusting the data to conform to the rules of the index.
- Perform index rebalances by interpreting index methodology, running models and research for adds/drops, implementing changes and communicating these appropriately to clients, all with a focus on quality and accuracy.
- May serve on the index committees and make presentations of original, non-routine analysis to committee in support of the indices for which the senior index manager is responsible.
- Take responsibility for the management of high profile indices, acting as an industry expert and displaying in-depth knowledge of our product lines.
- Manage and maintain key relationships with other groups within the department and across other departments, particularly Product Management, Client Coverage, Index Services and IT Support
- Work in close coordination with the technology group and production support group to further enhance our system capabilities and troubleshoot production issues
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and deadlines. The projects involve; requirements gathering, analytical thinking, compilation of data, and documentation
- Must have the ability to train new and current employees on best-practices for index management
- Update index methodology on an as-needed basis in coordination with clients and other S&P staff and the index committee to ensure indices remain relevant and investible.
- Work with clients, R&D and index development teams to oversee the launch of new indices.
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
- At least 3+ years of experience in equity analysis, research, data analysis, or related
- Understanding of global financial markets
- Must be able to work independently on multiple projects with minimal direction or supervision.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent analytical and quantitative capabilities to solve problems in a timely and insightful manner
- Superior computer skills in Excel, Word
- and related applications
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to coordinate work done by multiple people and / or groups.
- CFA or Advanced degree in business, math, economics, or finance preferred
- Professional experience in index management or a similar role.
- Experience with corporate action research, stock-screening, index rebalancing
- Understanding of how indices are used and the impact corporate events/rebalance changes have on both indices and financial portfolios.
- Multi-asset experience preferred.
- Ability to learn S&P's proprietary index calculation engines
- Knowledge of vendor terminals and vendors data and analytical platforms
- Knowledge of programming languages such as VBA, SQL, or Matlab is considered an asset, but not required
S&P Dow Jones Indices is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spdji.com.
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law
Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.