Senior Database Engineer - Business Intelligence (Contract)
Note this is a contract position. This position can sit in our NYC or Princeton NJ office.
Bloomberg runs on data. Our data captures the who, what, when, where and why of how our clients use Bloomberg products. As the Enterprise Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence team, we are responsible for ingesting and preparing massive amounts of data for reporting, dashboards, self-service and advanced analytics. The data will also be used to drive new businesses within Bloomberg by providing new insights. What's in it for you?
Are you motivated to build robust and scalable systems to handle petabytes of data, with billions of new data points being ingested daily? As a hands-on GreenPlum database engineer, you will be working with traditional and modern technologies to enhance our capabilities to analyze large volumes of data with complex business rules. You will work with the SRE and application teams to elicit requirements and implement them in an agile fashion. Our environment combines traditional warehouse technologies, MPP databases, Hadoop, and other technologies We'll trust you to:
You need to have:
- Design and automate complex processes and build custom monitoring & alerting in Python
- Have experience in performance tuning, backup/recovery, and capacity planning
- Develop best practices and repeatable procedures for managing database environment
- Educate application developers on writing efficient queries and database schemas
- Develop and work on large scale open source telemetry systems to monitor GreenPlum
We'd love to see:
- In-depth experience analyzing Data Warehouse systems, specifically GreenPlum and knowledge of its internal architecture
- Excellent scripting skills and working knowledge of Python is a must
- Proven experience in backup and recovery strategies
- Familiarity working with Linux
- Experience working with orchestration tools such as Chef, Ansible, Salt etc.
- Experience with Hadoop
- Proven ability to manage and deploy infrastructure in cloud environments
- Experience with hardware benchmarking and performance optimization
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.