Senior Data Scientist
The Emerging Technology team's mandate is to coordinate and catalyze the adoption of disruptive AI, machine learning, and robotic process automation solutions across the Fitch Group.
Specific Emerging Technology team objectives are:
• Provide AI/ML vision, strategy, and governance
• Manage Fitch's external AI/ML relationships
• Coordinate the utilization of external vendors to deliver AI/ML solutions
• Communicate AI/ML progress and developments to senior leadership and across the company
• Scale the Robotic Process Automation program
• Lead and support the internal Data Science Challenge and other Group-sponsored events
The Emerging Technology team is looking for a skilled data scientist to assist in the early-stage development and exploration of AI/Machine Learning projects. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of present-day AI/ML capabilities, an ability to quickly code prototype solutions, and a sound ability to evaluate the technical strengths and weaknesses of open-source and vendor solutions alike.
Familiarity with credit rating agency operations and the credit ratings business model is a strong plus, or more generally, experience in financial services is desirable. Role Description:
• Assist in the development of technical requirements and vision for major AI/ML projects
• Provide thorough technical reviews of vendor ML capabilities and solutions
• Test vendor ML platforms and APIs, rigorously evaluate performance
• Select and rapidly prototype open-source solutions to ML challenges
• Assist with buy-vs-build determinations
• Serve as a technical and subject matter expert in understanding the vendor's tech capabilities on AI/ML side
• Conduct thorough reviews of ML model implementation and performance as a key contributor in the governance and validation process Skills & Experience:
• 7+ years of experience in a comparable quantitative modeling or analytics role, ideally in the financial sector
• Demonstrated experience in applying statistical and/or machine learning techniques in the financial industry
• Good working knowledge of Python
• Prepared to iterate quickly, build proof-of-concept models, and prototypes
• Ability to formulate a strong view of the technological strengths and weaknesses of open-source and vendor AI/ML solutions alike
• Understanding of present-day AI/ML technologies including their capabilities, limitations, and a good instinct for viability of particular applications
• Knowledge of applications of AI/ML within the Financial Services sector, particularly Credit analysis and markets
• Strong communication skills; strong ability to engage with business leaders across the Fitch Group
• Understanding of the technology landscape and strong knowledge of open source libraries
• Ability to translate analytic ideas into code using Python and at least one other programming language
• Experience working within a financial institution or related organization would be an advantage
At Fitch, we have an open culture where employees are able to exchange ideas and perspectives, throughout the organization, irrespective of their seniority. Your voice will be heard allowing you to have a real impact. We embrace diversity and appreciate authenticity, employees work in an environment where they can be their true selves. Our inclusive and progressive approach helps us to keep a balanced perspective.
With our expertise, we are not only creating data and information, but also producing timely insights from every angle to influence decision making in this ever changing and highly competitive market. We have a relentless hunger to innovate and unlock the power of human insights and to drive value for our customers. There has never been a better time to make an impact and we invite you to join us on this journey.
If you're interested in applying for this role, please speak with Howard Barkin for more information.