- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
Senior Counsel¸ ICG Loans Legal
Senior Counsel¸ ICG Loans Legal
- Primary Location: United States,New York,New York
- Education: Doctorate Degree
- Job Function: Legal
- Schedule: Full-time
- Shift: Day Job
- Employee Status: Regular
- Travel Time: No
- Job ID: 18071280
Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Our core activities are safeguarding assets, lending money, making payments and accessing the capital markets on behalf of our clients.
Citi's Mission and Value Proposition explains what we do and Citi Leadership Standards explain how we do it. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients' and the public's trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve. Our Leadership Standards is a common set of skills and expected behaviors that illustrate how our employees should work every day to be successful and strengthens our ability to execute against our strategic priorities.
Diversity is a key business imperative and a source of strength at Citi. We serve clients from every walk of life, every background and every origin. Our goal is to have our workforce reflect this same diversity at all levels. Citi has made it a priority to foster a culture where the best people want to work, where individuals are promoted based on merit, where we value and demand respect for others and where opportunities to develop are widely available to all.
The role is in Citi's ICG Legal Loans team which is part of the broader ICG Legal team. ICG Legal Loans provides legal coverage and support globally for Citi's Institutional Clients Group (ICG) and in particular its lending businesses (which includes corporate lending, investment grade, leveraged finance, Asset Based Lending including DIPs, emerging market loans, project and export agency finance, and certain structured products). The group also supports Institutional Recovery Management (IRM), Citi's work-out and restructuring group.
Working as part of the NAM ICG Legal Loans team and reporting to the NAM Loans head, this lawyer will have the opportunity to work on the full spectrum of loan transactions originated by Citi's Capital Markets Origination lending businesses advising both front office and risk management teams, with a focus on Leveraged Finance. The NAM team is small and cohesive; a proactive approach, collegiality, ability to work independently with minimal oversight, and positive attitude are key attributes of the successful candidate.
The team provides advisory and transactional support on documentation as well as supervision of external counsel, contributions to know-how and infrastructure projects. As part of the internal control architecture, the team is also an important part of the approval process for all new and/or revised structures or products as well as ensuring compliance with Citi policies and procedures to protect the Citi franchise, therefore, commercial awareness and excellent judgement are essential skills for the successful candidate.
The position involves:
- Addressing key legal issues from inception to completion of loan transactions, in particular, commitment/engagement documentation, credit agreement issues, Agency roles and related responsibilities, loan trading dynamics
- Working closely with other members in the team and General Counsel's Office as appropriate.
- Identifying and analyzing legal risks and opportunities presented by transactions and ensuring that Citi's policy, legal and regulatory standards are maintained. Escalation of novel issues and franchise concerns.
- Liaising with other control groups within Citi, for example, Risk, Accounting Policy, Tax and Compliance.
- Volunteer Membership and participation in LSTA committees as a representative of Citi Loans.
- Management of external counsel
- Juris Doctor degree and New York state bar admission required
- Experience of syndicated and bilateral lending in private practice or in-house required
- Minimum 3 years of law firm, in house, or comparable experience focused on corporate lending with sponsor/acquisition finance expertise strongly preferred
- Excellent technical skills and analytical ability.
- Communication: Ability to assimilate complex issues and communicate with all levels concisely and clearly, including senior business personnel and desk heads
- Ability to work in a professional but demanding environment, with availability during "non-business" hours and same-day turnaround of documents or issues lists frequently required.
- Strong business judgment and commercial attitude
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and work to strict deadlines without supervision
- Co-operative, team-oriented style
- Risk Awareness