Senior Associate, Data Analyst
- New York, NY, USA New York NY US
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 24 Mar 18 2018-03-24
Senior Associate, Data Analyst
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The Data Solutions & Governance team provides transformative data capabilities and solutions that serve as the core data, reporting, and analytics platform for the Insurance & Agency Group at New York Life (NYL).
The team is in search of a strong programmer to serve as one of the primary experts of customer, agent, sales, and marketing data at New York Life. This role will focus on supporting multiple business areas with onboarding new data elements to enhance their reporting and analytics efforts. The role will also support the Data Solutions & Governance team's ongoing, client based initiatives, ultimately providing solutions to a wide range of internal stakeholders across the business. The candidate will also have the opportunity to grow their knowledge base of the vast network of legacy systems at NYL, and influence the modernization of the company's data architecture going forward.
Note: This is an individual-contributor role. Also, while this is a Business-facing role, there will be heavy interaction with Technology teams
- Support business and testing teams in building SQL queries associated with end-to-end QA testing efforts
- Interface with Business teams to understand business strategies, requirements, and pain points that can be addressed by data and business solutions
- Interface with Technology teams to export, transform and deliver data elements to stakeholders in a timely fashion
- Actively engage with application teams & testing teams across the organization to understand the data requirements, data flows, data entities and data relationships
- Support business team in on-boarding new data elements and creating new tables
- Define test scenarios and prepare test scripts and data associated with end-to-end testing
- Analyze data architectures, data integrations & business data objects and recommend optimal solution
- Make recommendations for business rules and communicate solutions to stakeholders
- Oversee data quality and ensure data is properly translated for consumption by end business users
- Execute on various requests and requirements by sourcing raw data from multiple databases, tables and systems
- Assist in prototyping new data solutions and supporting the Business team in their ad hoc reporting responsibilities
- Strong SQL background (TOAD, SQL Workbench)
- Strong background with Oracle database designs
- Python and R background is preferred (SAS is a plus)
- Ability to define test strategies and approaches
- Ability to explain technical solutions to technical and non-technical teams
- Expert-level Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Access)
- Analytical and critical thinking skills required
- Ability to quickly prioritize multiple assignments to figure out which competing tasks are most important
- Must be very organized and have excellent follow-up and problem solving skills
- Must be team oriented in interacting with a diverse group
- A proactive self-starter with the ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Experience with Hadoop and data lakes would be a plus
- In depth knowledge of all transactional aspects of the life cycle of an insurance policy (underwriting, issuance, lapses, conversions, mortality, etc.) would be a plus
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
* Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
** Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.