SRE - Managed Systems Engineering
An SRE at Bloomberg is a hybrid of a systems and a software engineer who is trusted to improve the stability and availability of the production environment through automation. We're responsible for monitoring, provisioning, configuration management, orchestration, capacity planning, deployment and rollback, incident management, and systems development life cycle practices. Our Team:
The Managed Systems Engineering (MSE) group is responsible for provisioning, configuring, and maintaining the majority of Bloomberg's production fleet throughout its lifecycle, and the group uses an infrastructure-as-code approach in conjunction with open-source tools to ensure a scalable and reliable environment in which to operate. MSE is also responsible for some of the core infrastructure services, and the MSE Services team maintains many of them. Joining our team, you will be expected to contribute to our Chef and Icinga service offerings, as well as helping to shepherd our Pulp and Aptly repository management systems, DNS environment, and a number of other production-critical services.
In MSE, you will interact with a wide array of people and technologies, and you will be positioned to find ways to build better infrastructure through code while gaining exposure to nearly all of Bloomberg's foundational infrastructure. What's in it for you:
You'll be part of a team that operates at scale; we manage our service offerings across five operating systems and tens of thousands of machines. We architect services from the ground up that are resilient, consumable, event-driven, secure, and observable. As part of the team, you will have the opportunity to work alongside engineers with the same automation goals in mind and be exposed to many open-source solutions and tools. Contributing back to the open-source community is something Bloomberg engineers pride themselves on; it is a rewarding experience you can explore with us. We have unique and interesting challenges to solve: you will be contributing towards a federated monitoring environment, building engineering-facing APIs to manage repository mirrors, and assisting with the growth of our configuration management platform, among many other challenges. We'll expect you to:
You'll need to have:
- Focus on automation for operational tasks and software deployment via configuration management and orchestration frameworks
- Enhance Bloomberg's infrastructure monitoring and alerting solutions
- Contribute to our CI/CD frameworks and pipelines
- Troubleshoot and debug issues across multiple platforms (Linux/Unix and Windows)
- Be self-organizing and able to deliver on our defined service attributes
- Work on documentation to support team efforts and educate peers
We would love to see:
- 2+ years of experience programming in Python/Ruby or a similar language
- Eagerness to work with a group, share knowledge, and contribute to team goals
- BA/BS or equivalent experience in computer science, engineering, or a related technology field
- An understanding of configuration management, CI/CD, API design and implementation, orchestration frameworks, and infrastructure monitoring
- Familiarity with one or more of the following technologies is preferred: Chef, SaltStack, Icinga or Nagios/NRPE, Jenkins, Ansible, PowerShell, package repository management software such as Pulp or Aptly
If this sounds like you, apply! We'll get in touch if we believe you're a good match and get started with a technical phone interview. If that goes well, we'll invite you onsite to meet our team and of course, demo the products you'll work on.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.