SRE - Core Automation
The energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough; we work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open, just like our spaces. We bring out the best in each other through collaboration. Through our countless volunteer projects, we also help network with the communities around us, too. You can do amazing work here. Work you couldn't do anywhere else. It's up to you to make it happen.
An SRE at Bloomberg is a hybrid of a systems and a software engineer who is trusted to improve the stability and availability of the production environment through automation. We're responsible for monitoring, provisioning, configuration management, orchestration, capacity planning, deployment and rollback, incident management, and systems development life cycle practices. Our Team:
The Managed Systems Engineering (MSE) group is responsible for provisioning, configuring, and maintaining the majority of Bloomberg's production fleet throughout its lifecycle, and the group uses an infrastructure-as-code approach in conjunction with open-source tools to ensure a scalable and reliable environment in which to operate. MSE is also responsible for some of the core infrastructure services, and the MSE Core Automation team maintains many of them. Joining our team, you will be expected to contribute to and build upon open-source orchestration frameworks including Salt and Ansible, ensuring a reliable automation offering to the company at large.
In MSE, you will interact with a wide array of people and technologies, and you will be positioned to find ways to build better infrastructure through code while gaining exposure to nearly all of Bloomberg's foundational infrastructure. What's in it for you:
You'll be part of a team that operates at scale; we manage our service offerings across five operating systems and tens of thousands of machines. As part of the team, you will have the opportunity to work alongside engineers with the same automation goals in mind and be exposed to many open-source solutions and tools. Contributing back to the open-source community is something Bloomberg engineers pride themselves on; it is a rewarding experience you can explore with us. We have unique and interesting challenges to solve: you will be contributing towards the creation of easy-to-use and dependable services using the Salt and Ansible automation platforms as well as researching other open-source technologies to offer event-driven automation, remote task execution, and configuration management solutions. We'll expect you to:
You'll need to have:
- Write code to enhance and integrate open-source products into the Bloomberg ecosystem
- Focus on automation of engineering processes and software deployment via remote task execution and configuration management
- Contribute to our CI/CD frameworks and pipelines
- Troubleshoot and debug issues across multiple platforms (Linux/Unix and Windows)
- Be self-organizing and able to deliver on our defined service attributes
- Work on documentation to support team efforts and educate peers
We would love to see:
- 2+ years of experience programming in Python/Ruby or a similar language
- Eagerness to work with a group, share knowledge, and contribute to team goals
- BA/BS or equivalent experience in computer science, engineering, or a related technology field
- An understanding of orchestration frameworks, configuration management, CI/CD, API design and implementation, and infrastructure monitoring
- Familiarity with one or more of the following technologies is preferred: Salt, Ansible, Chef, Jenkins, and Docker.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.