Quality and Data Governance Director
The Quality and Data Governance Director will be responsible for administration of data quality, data governance, and reference data management (RDM) programs, projects, and tasks primarily. Responsibilities
General Job Duties
- Collaborate with product management, internal colleagues, marketing, and direct reports to create and distribute monthly/quarterly reports and reviews of quality-related achievements.
- Create and orchestrate bespoke quality presentations and reports at the request of product management, account management, and sales.
- Support a new document repository initiative and provide feedback and ideas on the design, build, and management of quality-related documentation within the platform.
- Receive and incorporate feedback from product managers and identify improvement opportunities for data quality and governance.
- Develop strategy, OKRs and road maps for the above-mentioned elements of data governance.
- Contribute thought leadership to data governance program in collaboration with the Executive Director of Quality and Data Governance (DG) and future data governance area leads in generating the IHS Markit global DG framework and policies.
- Manage various team leaders/mangers of RDM (reference codes) operations across USA, Canada, and International ENR datasets.
- Collaborate with product management, internal colleagues, marketing, and direct reports to ensure that shared Reference data is fit for purpose, accessible and used globally across ENR Upstream.
- Incorporate feedback from product managers and identify improvement opportunities for reference data quality and governance.
- Become a leader within the data governance organization and assist in the deployment of metadata management systems that will include international energy assets.
- Develop KPIs that focus on improving results of the business glossary, stewardship, metadata management, data lineage/impact, and quality.
- Develop additional data governance leaders from within team/organization to meet organizational needs and drive colleague engagement through career development opportunities.
- Report on reference codes operations.
Work within the data governance organization to achieve our mission of delivering the highest quality data via a strategic data governance framework for the purpose of harvesting greater value from our data assets, driving profitability, and mitigating risk. Position will work within a team environment and focus effort and attention on these guiding principles: Build a Stronger Culture of Governance
- Develop data governance as a core competency by fostering trust in data-by ensuring commitment to treat data as a strategic asset; developing data talent-with clearly defined roles, responsibilities and stewardship; and by sharing a purpose-harvesting greater value from our data assets and enhancing data synergies. Focus on Value
- Intense focus on governance of data assets that significantly improve financial performance, impact business operations, improve data alignment, create new product opportunities, ensure regulatory compliance or enhance analytic capabilities. Commit to Quality
- Leverage key quality metrics to meet accuracy, completeness, reliability, relevance and timeliness of data requirements to ensure the highest level of data quality and integrity. Foster a Common Data Language
- Create a common and unifying glossary of terms to improve language and definition consistency for critical data assets. Standardize Metadata as an Asset
- Utilize a comprehensive, standardized and enterprise-grade metadata structure to define classifications, domains, derivation rules, semantics, relationships, impact and lineage to drive ease-of-use and fitness for consumption. Data Integrity in Lifecycle Management
- Data integrity must be defined and managed consistently across its lifecycle, made possible by transparent communications, validation and audit capabilities, change management, workflows, and data synchronization processes. Technology-Enabled Governance
- Leverage unifying technology solutions to deliver on metadata management capabilities, driving efficiency, decision-making and profitability in enterprise and commercial applications. Education & Experience
- Industry experience or University degree (Bachelors or equivalent) in Geology, Earth Sciences, Business, Operations Management, Computer Sciences, or related fields.
- MBA or other relevant graduate degree is a plus.
- Typically requires 10+ years industry related experience.
- Business experience in developing solutions for identified internal and or external business challenges related to data governance and quality; ability to identify, communicate, and manage process or service improvement projects.
- Demonstrated leadership experience with moderately risky and complex projects; develop the steps for project execution and continual improvement efforts.
- Problem Solving experience, working both independently and with others to solve unique and complex problems that have a broad impact within in the business; use conceptual thinking to identify challenges and then solutions to address.
- Demonstrated people leadership and management of multidisciplinary teams. Leading without authority in a cross functional role.
- Comprehensive understand of reference data practice and industry standards.
- Technical capabilities to proactively improve processes and data quality. Lead meetings and discussions with others to identify and implement solutions. Exercise independent judgement and maintain forward momentum of key projects and tasks.
- Interpersonal skills and capability to communicate complex concepts; anticipate potential objections and influence leaders to adopt new and innovative solutions.
- Impact and drive for the achievement of customer, operational, project or service objectives.
- Possess depth and breadth of expertise in energy data, quality, and governance, with broader knowledge of related disciplines.
- Understanding of ENR data (IRIS21/EDIN/CoDB/PIDM/PPDM/UDM/ADM), refence codes, data transformation programs and methodology, agile software project management, quality control, quality assurance, process management, statistical process controls, principles and practices of data governance, excellent Excel/Word/PowerPoint, Power BI, excellent written and verbal communication in English, basic SQL.
- Position will work within a team environment but requires independent judgment or evaluation of various issues to proactively problem solve data governance and data quality issues. Position will interact daily with data researchers and analysts but is expected to be capable of interacting directly with our customers as necessary.
- Data self-sufficiency - able to connect and interact with data natively from various systems including Oracle, Postgres, Toad, PGAdmin, Golden, DataGrid.
What We Offer
- Ability to make sound decisions related to the validity of information
- Proficient in the use of internal systems applications
- Strong attention to detail and follow through
- Strong organization skills
- Experience with SQL queries
- Proficient in use of MS office applications including Power BI
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural, multi-national team
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deliverables
- Understanding of Cloud technology and deployment
- Ability to communicate business needs and strategy to senior/executive leadership when required
- Competitive base salary, bonus plans and equity.
- A comprehensive, benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance plans, paid time off, a generous 401k match with no vesting period, parental leave and 3 volunteering days each year. For more information on benefits, please access the benefits page on our careers site: https://careers.ihsmarkit.com/benefits.php.
- For work locations in the state of Colorado, the anticipated minimum base salary for this role is $110,731. Compensation will be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, and abilities of the applicant.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.